Hix

Walkthrough Aviary interior

March 2010

Walkthrough Aviary interior
Hix, 5 Jul 2010
    • Hix
      March 2010
    • Fossa dude
      Do you know what species of bird is on the ground?
    • ZYBen
      New Guinea Ground doves :)
    • Electus Parrot
      Very prolific species at Gorge, last time I was there, there were 8 nests located around the aviary.
    • Fossa dude
      Cool, I have never heard of those. I always like learning about new species. I think it keeps the animal world more exciting.
    • Goura
      What interests me is...with Australia's very strict import regulations on avian species - where did they get them from? Is it a vagrant species to Cape York Peninsula?
    • Chlidonias
      it is a common bird in private aviculture in Australia, and has been for many many decades. At a guess I'd presume they started off as a zoo bird and bred so well they entered the private scene.
    • Hix
      it wouldn't surprise me if Sir Edward Hallstrom imported them at the same time as he was bringing in Birds of Paradise. This was before the 1948 ban on birds.
    • Chlidonias
      Taronga was the zoo I had in mind yes
    • Goura
      Ah yes, i remember mention of Edward Hallstrom from my days as an aviculturist. Wasn't there an exhibit in one of the zoos named after him?..could be mistaken.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Gorge Wildlife Park
    Uploaded By:
    Hix
    Date:
    5 Jul 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    219.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1024px
    Height:
    768px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).