Join our zoo community
Lynne

Wallace the Scottish Wildcat

Wallace the Scottish Wildcat
    • Blackduiker
      Very nice Lynne!
    • Lynne
      Thanks, its the first time I,ve been to the deer centre as I come from Fife but live in Blackpool, its a lovely park
    • Chlidonias
      that's a fine-looking cat!
    • Jordan-Jaguar97
      A lot more purer looking than Twycross' Cat's. ;)
    • Pertinax
      There are certainly differences evident just between what can be seen in the photos.. The overall background colour of this cat is tawny brown, the Twycross ones look greyish. This cat has no white on the face, the Twycross ones have 'pale faces.' The stripes on the head between the ears are bolder on this one.

I expect there are a number of other differences present in the animals too. For a start I know the Twycross ones have pointed tails.
    • TeaLovingDave
      For comparison, here is my photo of one of the recent kittens at Highland Wildlife Park - the wildcats there have all tested as pure, so it provides a useful morphological baseline.

[​IMG]
    • Pertinax
      The purity test developed by RZSS is apparently questionable- the 'rival' Wildcat association maintain that none of the captive cats anywhere are proven to be pure.
    • Giant Panda
      The Scottish Wildcat Association has now morphed into the Wildcat Haven project and disagrees with the conservation strategy adopted by the RZSS, Scottish Natural Heritage, WildCRU, and just about everyone else involved in wildcat protection. As a result, they are perhaps not entirely up-to-date with what’s going on in the captive population.

HWP’s animals were identified as pure based on pelage scores (as you’ve been discussing) and preliminary genetic tests, in work that led to the paper published by Driscoll et al. (2011). Since then, RZSS have taken over the studbook, genetic tests have improved, and other captive purebred wildcats have been identified. Small population size and inbreeding remain a major obstacle, however; hence the plan to remove a small number of individuals from the wild.

Driscoll et al. (2011): A Suite of Genetic Markers Useful in Assessing Wildcat (Felis silvestris ssp.)? Domestic Cat (Felis silvestris catus) Admixture
    • Pertinax
      Thankyou for the link. I will read and digest....
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Scottish Deer Centre
    Uploaded By:
    Lynne
    Date:
    26 Oct 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    195.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1131px
    Height:
    1600px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D3X
    Date / Time:
    2012:10:21 14:13:25
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    450 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).