Join our zoo community
FunkyGibbon

Water Fountain

Water Fountain
FunkyGibbon, 31 Oct 2019
birdsandbats and sooty mangabey like this.
    • Andrew Swales
      I wonder how much water it wastes? From the size of the drainage grill and out-let gully, more could to run down the drain than is consumed. Invisible wastage, of course...
    • birdsandbats
      I find this funnier than it should be :p
    • snowleopard
      This is a sight for sore eyes, as Japan is showing the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany that it's okay to supply free water to zoo visitors. Bravo! :p
    • Andrew Swales
      @snowleopard

There must be a cultural difference - as in the UK (and I assume the other European countries you list), the first child to use (play with) it would turn on that tap and leave it running. The idea of 'free' water, is one all developed countries will have to deal with - maybe England and Japan are not high on the list, but parts of the US and Australia certainly know its real value. Giving it to the public without charge and pretending it is 'free', will have to change eventually...
    • Crowthorne
      I've used the free water-refill stations that have been popping up at various UK railway stations and zoos for a while now (Paddington station, Birmingham New Street, ZSL London Zoo off the top of my head. A free water refill station has also appeared outside the northeast corner of Russell Square in central London recently). None of these have taps which could be inadvertently left on; they have all used sensors which detect the presence of a bottle, with water coming from above. Once the bottle is removed, the water shuts off. They also have more traditional drinking spouts built-in, but can't recall if these have taps or not.

The only problem I've had with them so far, was the water at Birmingham New Street tasted awful!
    • Andrew Swales
      @Crowthorne

The tap in the picture has a conventional head and not a self-closing-limiting device, and the size of the grill implies it deals with a large amount of waste...
      Local tap water in the UK varies hugely in taste; some indeed is dreadful - but, this is usually noticed more by tourists, as locals become accustomed to it.
    • David Matos Mendes
      Well, most of the zoos in Brazil offer free water for visitors.(Belo Horizonte zoo, for example, has offered both cold and room temperature water since I can remember).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Tama Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    FunkyGibbon
    Date:
    31 Oct 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.2 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2613px
    Height:
    3484px
    Aperture:
    f/2.0
    Make:
    Xiaomi
    Model:
    MI 5s
    Date / Time:
    2019:01:13 14:34:14
    Exposure Time:
    1/173 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.73 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).