Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

Wellington Zoo map c.2000

Wellington Zoo map c.2000
Chlidonias, 18 Nov 2018
    • Chlidonias
      I have two almost-identical versions of this map. One is slightly earlier than this one because it has a bubble at the top saying "NEW! Baboon Habitat Opening mid-2000" whereas this version has the baboons labelled on the enclosure.

There have been a number of changes between the previous 1994 map I have (Wellington Zoo map 1994 (large version) | ZooChat) and this c.2000 map. The little railway has been replaced with two islands for White-cheeked Gibbons, and Spider and Capuchin Monkeys. Note the enclosure for the last remaining Common Rhea at bottom left (this bird died in 2007). Golden Lion Tamarins were at this time also kept in a glass-fronted enclosure just inside the entrance to the zoo.

A lot of the species still on the 1994 map have died out by the time of this map (e.g. Arctic Wolf, Snow Leopard, and White-nosed Coati), and there have been only a few new additions (the gibbons and tamarins, and Red Panda are the only major ones). There are still several species of ungulates at the top of the zoo which would later die out or otherwise leave the zoo (Aoudad, Tahr, Blackbuck, Sitatunga). There are also still Camel (last here in 2004) and Zebra (last here in 2009).
    • zooboy28
      I never realised there used to be a nocturnal house at the end of Bird Valley! I saw the building later when it was used to display reptiles and small mammals viewed externally, assuming that is the same building.

Also a bit weird they display some of the back-of-house facilities on the map - the keepers' tearoom!?!?
    • Chlidonias
      @zooboy28 Yes that nocturnal house was the kiwi house before the current one (which, for others, is just past the gibbon island). In 1988 there were kiwi, tuatara, tree weta, and Sugar Gliders in there. The reptile enclosures were on the back of the house (i.e. they were built onto the outside of the house, rather than being externally-viewed enclosures of the house itself, if that makes sense), and had Common Iguana, Blue-tongue Skink, etc. On the map the row of small grey boxes above the house are the reptile enclosures. Later the Sugar Gliders were replaced with the Little Red Flying Foxes (the bats labelled on this map). After the current kiwi house opened the former nocturnal house was closed up but the external reptile enclosures remained in use for many years. The flying foxes of course were moved to an aviary elsewhere in the zoo (or to the former elephant house, and then later to an aviary; something like that).
    • Chlidonias
      Here's a photo from 2008 showing those reptile enclosures, with the roof of the (closed) kiwi house visible behind them.

[​IMG]
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Wellington Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    18 Nov 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.6 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2381px
    Height:
    3042px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 1100D
    Date / Time:
    2018:11:18 09:21:36
    Exposure Time:
    1/400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    33 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).