Join our zoo community
Maguari

West Indian Manatee at Artis 2002

This enclosure was, well, frankly dreadful. Fortunately no longer in use.

West Indian Manatee at Artis 2002
Maguari, 20 Jul 2008
felis silvestris likes this.
    • Maguari
      This enclosure was, well, frankly dreadful. Fortunately no longer in use.
    • kiang
      does anyone have a fuller picture of this enclosure, it sounds as though it needs to be seen to be believed!
    • Fodders
      Looks hideous
    • James27
      It doesn't look like the manatee's in water lol
      Looks like a pretty crappy exhibit though
    • UntBwe
      Artis don't have this species anymore...
    • Toddy
      I remember seeing the manatee here in 2002, and almost cried. Now, however, he lives in a very nice rainforest pool in Randers Tropical Zoo:)
    • DejaVuKatz
      I had to do a double take too... and poor things in just a couple feet of water too!!!
    • PeGe
      Impressive! Imagine it could even turn around in there! But how much of the enclosure do we see here? and is this the perspective a regular visitor had or did you see it just through the window?
    • Maguari
      This is from the above-water viewing on the other side of the pool. It's a long time ago now but I'd say this was maybe a fifth or sixth of the exhibit? Something like that. It was tiny - I'd say no more than two-thirds of the surface area of Tierpark Berlin's exhibit, and probably only half as deep.
    • dean
      I seam to recall it was a sort of W shape or at least very angular,and was always full of floating cabbages when ever I went in, I only ever recall seeing the manatee's snout hence no photos.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Artis Royal Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    20 Jul 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    192.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1188px
    Height:
    792px
    Make:
    HP
    Model:
    HP Scanjet djf2100
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:20 17:39:15

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).