Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

Western Lowland Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla)

there is a family of gorillas on display at the museum (a male, female and juvenile) but the reflective glass case they are in is not conducive to photography, so the best I could do was a close-up of the male. The gorillas have been at the museum since 1865 and were originally collected by Paul du Chaillu in Gabon. May 2014

Western Lowland Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla)
    • Chlidonias
      there is a family of gorillas on display at the museum (a male, female and juvenile) but the reflective glass case they are in is not conducive to photography, so the best I could do was a close-up of the male. The gorillas have been at the museum since 1865 and were originally collected by Paul du Chaillu in Gabon.

May 2014
    • Hix
      Well, if that was an old one from the 1800's, I can understand why it looks so bad. The taxidermist probably had never seen a live one so this was the best his imagination could come up with. Of course, the skin looks like crap too.

It looks more like Ameranthropoides loysi than Gorilla gorilla.
    • vogelcommando
      I also am glatt you told us it's a Gorilla becuase I've already seen a lot of live ones but none looked like this one ;) !
    • TeaLovingDave
      It almost looks like someone has been trying to breed baboons with members of the British upper-class.
    • Zooplantman
      No. the teeth here are better
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Melbourne Museum
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    4 Jun 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: