nanoboy

Western Treatment Plant birds

Seen a couple weeks ago.

Western Treatment Plant birds
nanoboy, 3 Nov 2013
    • nanoboy
      Seen a couple weeks ago.
    • nanoboy
      Another group of birds many kilometres away. Same species or different?

Red neck stint? Sharp tailed sandpiper?
    • nanoboy
      Eurasian skylark?
    • nanoboy
      No birdos want to hazard a guess or three?
    • zooboy28
      Obviously I have very little idea about birds, and especially waders, which are often notoriously difficult to distinguish at the best of times.

Having said that, I'm wondering if they might be Wood Sandpipers rather than Sharp-tails, as they look a bit like the Woods I saw in Central Australia.
    • Chlidonias
      I'm happy to stand corrected, but all the waders are sharp-tailed sandpipers. Wood sandpipers have longer bills, longer legs, and are noticeably more slender; sharp-tailed sandpipers have a stockier appearance.

Pectorals and sharp-tails are sometimes difficult to distinguish but pectorals are rare in Australia, and these aren't them anyway. (Woods are also more common in the northern parts of Australia than the south apparently).

Stints are tiny. Much smaller than sharp-tails.

I can't remember if the Melbourne Museum has taxidermied wader displays but if they do, then check out the relative sizes.
    • zooboy28
      So Chlidonias would you say that the ones in the (bad) photo below are Wood or Sharp-tailed Sandpipers?
    • Chlidonias
      @zooboy, they look like wood sandpipers to me.

@nanoboy, your other bird is an Australian bushlark. Skylarks sing while hovering high in the air. Next time you hear a bird song coming from somewhere up in the air, have a look up and you might see it (but they are difficult to see because they are often very high).
    • nanoboy
      Horsfield's bush lark and sharpie it is then. Cheers! I also saw songlarks which were flying quite high.
    • zooboy28
      Thanks for that Chlidonias.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Australia - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    nanoboy
    Date:
    3 Nov 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: