Join our zoo community
washaw

White bellied tree pangolin

Baba, one of only two captive in the United States; both live at the San Diego Zoo. Photo during the 1:30pm Children's Zoo talk with Keeper Ben, May 1, 2012

White bellied tree pangolin
washaw, 2 May 2012
    • washaw
      Baba, one of only two captive in the United States; both live at the San Diego Zoo. Photo during the 1:30pm Children\'s Zoo talk with Keeper Ben, May 1, 2012
    • devilfish
      Lovely photo of an incredible creature. I can't think of any animals in Childrens' zoo talks I've seen which come anywhere close.
    • Hix
      Great shot of the tongue!
    • washaw
      Thanks. I got about half the full 16 inches.
    • Blackduiker
      A great shot taken at just the right time! Fascinating animals.
    • Fuzzball
      A great shot out of the times, when zoos collected rare species like stamps.
    • DavidBrown
      The pangolin is a rescue animal from a wildlife market in Asia. From what the keeper at San Diego said when I attended a pangolin talk in March, it sounds like they are hoping to build a breeding program and get pangolins established in western zoos.
    • Chlidonias
      did they actually say it was from a wildlife market in Asia? The white-bellied pangolin comes from Africa (not to say that it wasn't obtained from an Asian market, but it seems a bit of a roundabout way for the zoo to get African pangolins rather than Asian ones, if you see what I mean). Do you know when the zoo got them because I couldn't find anything before 2007 and nothing at all on their origins.
    • DavidBrown
      I'm probably wrong about Asia. The keeper said that there had been an entire group of rescued pangolins (I guess from Africa?) brought over to the U.S. and only a couple had survived, including this one at San Diego. That's the basic story as I remember it. Maybe Betsy or Washaw can add details if there are other aspects of the story.
    • Chlidonias
      thanks David. It wouldn't actually surprise me if they came from an Asian dealer: with the decline in Asian species' populations they need to look further afield for their merchandise.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Diego Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    washaw
    Date:
    2 May 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    300.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1067px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon PowerShot ELPH 300HS
    Date / Time:
    2012:05:01 12:43:26
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    9.845 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).