Join our zoo community
baboon

white-eared night heron of Nanning Zoo

white-eared night heron of Nanning Zoo
baboon, 18 Dec 2010
David Matos Mendes and carlos55 like this.
    • baboon
      Gorsachius magnificus, a critical endangered nocturnal wading bird species endemic to south China, the number of which may be less than 100. Nanning Zoo is the only zoo keeping this bird, and this pair of birds successfully produce one clutch this year.
    • Maguari
      Thanks for posting - wonderful-looking bird. Look at those eyes - haunting!
    • Chlidonias
      great photo. This is my favourite species of night heron. They are really magnificent birds.
    • baboon
      Thanks for replying! Meanwhile, Chlidonias, I am so amazing to know your favorite night heron species is a so little-known Chinese species :)
    • Chlidonias
      I guess you could say its my favourite night heron "in theory" as I've never actually seen a live one before, but I have wanted to for a long long time. One day I'll finally get to China and find one :)
    • condor
      small corrections: It is endangered (not critically endangered), also found in Vietnam and last estimate by Birdlife international is that there 250-999 individuals left. But WOW! Amazing species and great that they had successful breeding. Great photo also.
    • baboon
      Thank you, condor. It is optimistic to have nearly one thousand white-eared night heron~
    • Kifaru Bwana
      Any other Chinese zoos maintaining this species?

Seems like a good set up of an aviary for this night heron.
      (here in continental Europe we have rare black crowneds).
    • baboon
      Hi, Kifaru Bwana, the Nanning Zoo is said to be the only zoo kept this bird species, and this breeding program is sponsored by Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden in Hongkong.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Nanning Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    baboon
    Date:
    18 Dec 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    171.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    482px
    Height:
    361px
    Aperture:
    f/3.7
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-FZ30
    Date / Time:
    2008:05:26 17:52:59
    Exposure Time:
    10/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    88.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).