Join our zoo community
Maguari

White-lipped Deer at Lodz Zoo, Poland Sept 08

White-lipped Deer at Lodz Zoo, Poland Sept 08
Maguari, 4 Oct 2008
    • Pertinax
      Very impressive but curious-looking deer. I've only seen them once, in Rotterdam Zoo. Very long ears and the stag's antlers are almost vertical, as if they've been 'stuck on' as an afterthought. I'd like to see Edinburgh's herd sometime.
    • Maguari
      They are indeed wonderful animals - they took some finding at Lodz, though, I can tell you - hidden away in a paddock only viewable from within the model dinosaur park bit. It's a good thing we were in a childish mood that day, or we'd have missed them!

Actually, it was one of the better sets of dinosaur models I've seen.
    • Peter
      Heh, I never been in this dinosaur park and I never seen in "my" zoo this species. For normal guest, it is not possible to see this deers. There are hidden behind asian birds house. It's strange but this can be explained. This deers are hidden away visitors, but every years our media say about births this species in our zoo.
      Young from Lodz, are for example in Edinburgh's.
      If you saw this deer from model dinosaur park, then I also can try see them.
    • Maguari
      Yes - there was a small herd visible from the dinosaur area - there's not really a viewing point and I can't remember if they were labelled but if it helps, this is the photo I took immediately before this one of the deer (so when you see Parasaurolophus, peer over the fence! :) ):
    • Maguari
      Actually, Peter, you may be able to solve a mystery for me - the night we stayed in Lodz in September 2008 there was a fire in the centre of town with a lot of streets closed off etc - do you remember what had happened? Was hard to tell how much damage was done.

Made for some interesting photos in the city centre.
    • Peter
    • Pertinax
      Fairly classic-'tucked away' as probably not regarded as a species the majority of visitors would be too interested in...:rolleyes:

The paddock doesn't look too hot- very muddy but obviously they do well here.
    • Maguari
      Thanks for that Peter - it did look quite a major operation. Let me know how you get on with the deer - hopefully they've not been moved since 2008!
    • Maguari
      Yup - always the way!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Lodz Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    4 Oct 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    421 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S7000
    Date / Time:
    2008:09:09 10:40:29
    Exposure Time:
    10/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    46.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).