Join our zoo community
gentle lemur

White-necked Picathartes 1974

Picathartes gymnocephalus. Tropical House, Rotterdam, 22nd July 1974. Scanned from a Kodachrome slide, unfortunately the slide was badly underexposed, in spite of using flash, but the scanned image is clearer than the original slide.

White-necked Picathartes 1974
gentle lemur, 27 Sep 2016
    • gentle lemur
      Picathartes gymnocephalus. Tropical House, Rotterdam, 22nd July 1974. Scanned from a Kodachrome slide: unfortunately the slide was badly underexposed, in spite of using flash, but this scanned image is clearer than the original.
    • TeaLovingDave
      *glares amiably*
    • Kakapo
      I'm dying of envy :p
    • gentle lemur
      I have just checked the IZYB Volume 15. In 1974, there were 51 of these birds in 14 collections in Europe and the USA. They nested in several collections in the 1970s and young were reared in Amsterdam and San Antonio (and probably other places too).
      It is very unfortunate that they did not become established in captivity, as they were fascinating to watch as they usually moved around with giant hops, which made them awkward to photograph, and they built lovely mud nests.

Alan
    • Joker1706
      I´ve seen both Picarthes species in Frankfurt Long time ago.

Frankfurt Zoo was the most successful breeder of both of them.

Unfortunately, the last of their kind in captivity died 1995 and 2009.

Truly wonderful and very interesting birds.
    • DavidBrown
      Were you ever in Picathartes habitat in your West African travels?
    • gentle lemur
      No, their habitat is remote and difficult to access. I was based on the other side of the country unfortunately. There are some organised trips to suitable areas these days.

Alan
    • AWP
      Last week I was watching a documentary about a Dutch guy who broke the "Big Year" world record for birds. Part of the documentary was focussing on his search for the white-necked picathartes (in which he succeeded). Very interesting bird! Unfortunately it isn't kept in captivity anymore for quite a while.

I might have seen it's grey-necked relative in Frankfurt, although I can't remember. It's named in the zoo guide of my visit, but I wasn't aware of it's rarity at that moment (the only species from the Bird House I do remember is my first shoebill).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Rotterdam Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    gentle lemur
    Date:
    27 Sep 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    133 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    566px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).