Back then one of the very, very few Wild camels in captivity Summer 2006

Wild Bactrian Camel
Sun Wukong, 24 Dec 2008
Haliaeetus and devilfish like this.
    • Sun Wukong
      Back then one of the very, very few Wild camels in captivity

Summer 2006
    • Zebraduiker
      Looks not very much diffrent than the bactrian camel, but it is an orgininal wild camel! its the same with the northern white rhino, nobody will recognize them, if they do not see the exhibit sign, but if they have bad luck, there is not the subspecies name on the exhibit sign. But if you tell the people, they have a northern white rhino before themselfs, they are shouting"Oh my God, a northern white Rhino ! "

By the way, BORING Exhibit.
      Haliaeetus likes this.
    • yangz
      How many camels did you see in the exhibit? Is Beijing Zoo the only zoo that displays wild bactrain camels?
    • Pertinax
      I've got a feeling it may have been the ONLY one....? I wonder if they still have it.
    • Sun Wukong
      It was the only one-and as Pertinax assumed, it appears to be no longer there. Just like the wild yaks they had once...
    • kiang
      Surely both species the camel and the yak are prime candidates for a captive breeding programme?
    • Ituri
      Wild Bactrian Camel breeding project in Mongolia

Wild Camels
    • baboon
      There are also wild camels in Urumuqi Zoo, Xinjiang, northwest China. And there are some wild camels in Wuwei Zoo, Gansu Province, northwest China, too, but it is said that all their wild camels are contaminated by domestic camels. And this one in Beijing Zoo was captured in Inner Mongolin; it is the sixth wild camel kept in Beijing Zoo.
    • yangz
      Thank you about the info. I will keep them in mind when I visit those zoos in the future. I just hope they are still there. Just out of curiosity, how do you get this information for the whereabouts of the wild camels in zoos in china.
    • baboon
      Hi, Yangz,
      I get these info from the forum in China, such as the forum of Beijing Zoo bbs.bjzoo.com|?? ?? - BjzooBBS - Powered by Discuz!NT, and from the newspaper.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Beijing Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Sun Wukong
    Date:
    24 Dec 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    136 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    640px
    Height:
    480px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DCR-TRV22E
    Date / Time:
    2006:07:05 02:05:37
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    Focal Length:
    3.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).