snowleopard

Wild Prairie - Thick-Billed Parrot Exhibit

July 26th, 2010.

Wild Prairie - Thick-Billed Parrot Exhibit
snowleopard, 5 Sep 2010
    • snowleopard
      July 26th, 2010.
    • Arizona Docent
      That looks pretty good. I have seen thick-billed parrots at 5 zoos (2 in Arizona and 3 in So California) and none of them have very good exhibits and I have yet to get a decent photo of this species.
    • Kudu21
      The Cincinnati Zoo has two exhibits for this species. One is within the Wings of the World building and another in Wolf Woods, both of which allow for unobstructed viewing. The exhibit in Wings of the World uses the dark hallway / lit exhibit method to keep the parrots, and quails, in. Only a small ledges seperates the visitors from the birds. The exhibit in Wolf Woods is a walk-in aviary with the same mix of parrots and quails.
    • cloudedleopard
      When Grizzly Ridge opened in 2013, this exhibit (formerly wild turkey) became home to snowy owls. The exhibit next to it near the cafe is burrowing owls, and across the way near the restrooms is an empty dome exhibit, for prairie dogs, rabbits, and then tortoises. I enjoy the theme of Wild Prairie, but it was much larger before 2012- with coatimundis where Monkey Island was, tortoises, waterfowl, eagles, and otters.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Akron Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    5 Sep 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: