Join our zoo community
Dan

Winter and snow in Copenhagen: No stereotypic behaviour from the polar bear

To my great relief the polar bear seemed to enjoy herself today, at least as long as I was watching her. Maybe the cold weather cheered her up? She played with enrichment items, threw them up in the air and performed some beautiful playfights with the male in the enclosure. One funny little incident: The two bears played with what I thought looked like a piece of cloth, a rug or something like that. After a while the male decided that he was tired of the toy, took it in his mouth and threw it right out of the enclosure, hitting some visitors. It turned out to be an ox-tail.

Winter and snow in Copenhagen: No stereotypic behaviour from the polar bear
Dan, 10 Jan 2010
    • Dan
      To my great relief the polar bear seemed to enjoy herself today, at least as long as I was watching her. Maybe the cold weather cheered her up? She played with enrichment items, threw them up in the air and performed some beautiful playfights with the male in the enclosure.

One funny little incident:

The two bears played with what I thought looked like a piece of cloth, a rug or something like that. After a while the male decided that he was tired of the toy, took it in his mouth and threw it right out of the enclosure, hitting some visitors.

It turned out to be an ox-tail.
    • Baldur
      They must love this type of weather! The elephants do, and why not the polar bears as well! I hope the plans of the new exhibit will work out, but glad the new pair is enjoying the old one meanwhile, even if it is almost 60 years old.
    • Matt G
      That polar bear exhibit at the Copenhagen Zoo is probably the greatest polar bear exhibits of all the polar bear exhibits in Europe.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo København
    Uploaded By:
    Dan
    Date:
    10 Jan 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    169.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    844px
    Aperture:
    f/4.2
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D60
    Date / Time:
    2010:01:10 15:46:33
    Exposure Time:
    10/1250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    110 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).