Join our zoo community
BeardsleyZooFan

World of Reptiles- Merten's Water Monitor Exhibit

November 3rd, 2012: The World of Reptiles has a fantastic reptile/amphibian collection.

World of Reptiles- Merten's Water Monitor Exhibit
BeardsleyZooFan, 5 Nov 2012
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      November 3rd, 2012: The World of Reptiles has a fantastic reptile/amphibian collection.
    • Gulo gulo
      BXZ, has had a nice run with mertens'. They have hatched a few clutches in recent years.
    • joshgrossglaza
      Did you happen to see Izzy A. Live, the alligator snapping turtle?
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      Do you happen to know what habitat in the Reptile House she's in?
    • joshgrossglaza
      He has his own enclosure with his girlfriend near the end of the hall on the opposite side of the dwarf caiman. Izzy is the largest gator snapper in captivity, weighing more than 206 lbs.
    • joshgrossglaza
      He has his own enclosure with his girlfriend near the end of the hall on the opposite side of the dwarf caiman. Izzy is the largest gator snapper in captivity, weighing more than 206 lbs.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Last time I went the Alligator Snapping Turtle (only one) was exhibited with a juvenile American Alligator and they were in the same enclosure you're talking about.

~Thylo:cool:
    • joshgrossglaza
      How big was the turtle?
    • ThylacineAlive
      I don't remember but I don't recall it being that big. Perhaps the alligator has since been removed and replaced by the big snapper. Does anyone know what the zoo does with its grown gators as, during my last visit, I saw about 8 mid-sized ones (most in a way-too-small exhibit in the Children's Zoo) but no exhibit for adults.

~Thylo:cool:
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bronx Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    BeardsleyZooFan
    Date:
    5 Nov 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: