Join our zoo community
geomorph

World of the Insect - Exhibits

World of the Insect - Exhibits
geomorph, 5 Oct 2009
    • Arizona Docent
      I could be wrong, but I think Cincinnati was the first zoo to have a building dedicated solely to arthropods (insects, spiders, etc). This is an often overlooked section of the animal kingdom, and in terms of ecosystems, probably the most important. More zoos need to focus on helping people overcome their fear and hatred of "bugs," because without them life on earth as we know it could not exist.
    • Maguari
      London's first Insect House opened in 1881, which I think is the earliest zoo Insect House on a worldwide level. Do you know when Cincinnati's opened? The zoo was certainly around at this time.

I always like to see a good invert collection at a zoo - London's is still very good but Bristol is probably Britain's best zoo-based arthropod collection.
    • geomorph
      I believe Cincinnati's opened in 1979, so London's predates it by nearly a century!
    • Maguari
      I thought London's would be earlier but didn't expect it to be by that much!
    • snowleopard
      In terms of the collection and outstanding exhibits this is usually hailed as the best insect house in America, with perhaps Saint Louis coming in a close second. Cincinnati opened this invertebrate display around 30 years ago but it has not aged at all and is simply superb.
    • Zooplantman
      The Bullet Ant display shown is a real rarity, due to the particular interest of one of the curators. (I actually got to assist him on a collecting trip once.)
    • Moebelle
      Opened in 1978, this is the largest building in North America devoted to the display of live insects. The Cincinnati Zoo has been given four awards by the American Zoo and Aquarium Association for successful propagation of insects. Insect World (former name) received the prized American Zoo and Aquarium Association exhibit award in 1979. And has the longest Leaf-cutter ant exhibit in the world
    • gerenuk
      How long is the leaf-cutter ant enclosure?
    • Moebelle
      not sure but it takes up more than half the building, i would say over 60-70 feet
    • DavidBrown
      Where did you guys go to collect bullet ants? Any good stories to share?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden
    Uploaded By:
    geomorph
    Date:
    5 Oct 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: