Join our zoo community
snowleopard

World's Smallest Zoo?

April 2009. My niece and nephew and I spent 4-5 hours constructing this mini-masterpiece in the living room of my apartment. My wife Debbie and I are planning to become parents in the near future, and I thought that I'd haul out my old zoo animal collection and practice fatherhood with a couple of kids. I've had quite a few plastic zoo animals ever since I was a youngster, and in total there are about 750 animals. That includes around 20 dinosaurs, and the zoo in the photo is about 15 feet by 15 feet in diameter. Some of the larger animal figures are not in actual exhibits, as I wanted to keep everything to scale for the enclosures.

World's Smallest Zoo?
snowleopard, 28 Apr 2009
    • snowleopard
      April 2009. My niece and nephew and I spent 4-5 hours constructing this mini-masterpiece in the living room of my apartment. My wife Debbie and I are planning to become parents in the near future, and I thought that I\'d haul out my old zoo animal collection and practice fatherhood with a couple of kids. I have owned quite a few plastic zoo animals ever since I was a youngster, and in total there are about 750 animals. That includes around 20 dinosaurs, and the zoo in the photo is about 15 feet by 15 feet in diameter. Some of the larger animal figures are not in actual exhibits, as I wanted to keep everything to scale for the enclosures.
    • Jacobea
      That brings back sweet memories :D I used to do this sort of thing all the time when i was younger. Back then I thought that there was no better way to spend an summer afternoon than to recreate JP and Colchester Zoo in my garden.
    • Cat-Man
      i have a large colection of animals, i often make a zoo, smaller than yours, so mines' the worlds smallest zoo! :D
    • zooman
      That is sooo not the work of a couple of kids!!

How old are they;)

Seriously who was behind this very orderly looking zoo.

They were not under 6. And Or they were following a very tough Director LOL
    • snowleopard
      I admit that I was the director overseeing the project...haha...and the zoo is even divided into geographic areas! Africa was about half of the collection, but Asia, North America, South America and Australia were all well represented.
    • Sun Wukong
      Regarding the title of "World's Smallest Zoo": ever looked at an inoculated petri dish? ;)
    • CGSwans
      Some very barren, even brutal exhibits there Scott. I think before you invest in a new state-of-the-art Great Barrier Reef exhibit you should see about fixing some of those ungulate exhibits, and the giant pandas can't even see out of their cardboard monstrosity.

;)
    • snowleopard
      @CGSwans: the giant pandas will receive a new, $10 million exhibit in 2010.:) Also, there are going to be improvements to the bactrian camel enclosure (lower right in photo) and the African Savanna at the rear is getting a complete overhaul in 2011.
    • HuxleyPig
      Haha, I love it. I have recently put a load of old stuff up in the loft, but my toy animals have stayed in the wardrobe. I think I have about 300 odd. When I was little I went round my nans every week and we'd make a new enclosure together. :)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Memorabilia & Collectables
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    28 Apr 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: