Join our zoo community
carlos77

xin xin giant panda chapultepec zoo

xin xin giant panda chapultepec zoo Xin Xin is the offspring of Chia Chia, the london zoo male panda and Tohui the first giant panda born outside of China. Xin Xin and her sister Shuan Shuan are currently the only giant pandas not owned by the chinese government. Sadly, both females are in their middle twenties and are to old to breed.

xin xin giant panda chapultepec zoo
carlos77, 12 Feb 2011
zoo_enthusiast likes this.
    • carlos77
      xin xin giant panda chapultepec zoo Xin Xin is the offspring of Chia Chia, the london zoo male panda and Tohui the first giant panda born outside of China. Xin Xin and her sister Shuan Shuan are currently the only giant pandas not owned by the chinese government. Sadly, both females are in their middle twenties and are to old to breed.
    • Cat-Man
      there is also bao bao at berlin zoo who is not owned by China. Prehaps they should unite the three in mexico just to try(however unlikely) for one last chance at creating a baby not owned by china:)
    • carlos77
      Catman, your idea is correct, according to the Direccion general de zoologicos del distrito federal there will be a final attempt to have Xin Xin artificially inseminated. Of course, there is the factor of Xin Xin´s age ( however she is the youngest panda at Chapultepec ). Why this was not attempted before ? We do not know. Before,the attempt to breed her with the Ueno Zoo male from Toyko (loaned to Chapultepec) failed.
    • Cat-Man
      I have been thinking about, and despite the age of both of them being old, just to try and have a few more years of panda that are not owned by china. Theoretically if Bao-Bao could impregnate. All three panda at mexico city (no matter how old they are, its still a possibility) then we could create an independant pand breeding program, limitily of course, because eventual inbreeding would occur. However I'd love to see it happen, altho the chinesde would probably try and intervine because of their claims on all other Panda's. Do the zoo have any plans to replace these panda's after they're gone?:),

Yours, cat-man
    • carlos77
      The budget for Chapultepec zoo is too limited for paying what China now asks for giant pandas. The genetic value of the chapultepec pandas will be lost when they die, if breeding does not occur. It is a sad situation.
    • Cat-Man
      its a shame, they've had the best breeding record for any foreign zoo for breeding panda (due to the altitude i believe?). i think that unless Bao Bao can mate with them, they should send them to another zoo (prehaps san diego) or back to china so they can use they're genetic value can be put to good use for the future survival of the species
    • IanRRobinson
      Given that she was sired by a ZSL animal I've always found it odd that London have never taken any active interest in this animal.

I also feel it's very sad that money is preventing a proven breeder of this high profile animal from a long term future, apparently.
    • Cat-Man
      ^i couldn't agree more, was there no agreement that any panda cub would be sent back to london?
    • Adam Khor
      She was in Guadalajara and I missed it! >.<
    • carlos77
      So it was Xin Xin that went to Guadalajara ! She is the youngest of the Chapultepec pandas.It is hard to tell the female pandas apart, because unlike say andean bears,they all have the same markings
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chapultepec Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    carlos77
    Date:
    12 Feb 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    263.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.9
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2010:02:08 12:28:26
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    47 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).