Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

young female ocelot

May 6, 2019

young female ocelot
    • Arizona Docent
      This young female was put on exhibit less than a week ago. She was born at the Museum via in vitro fertilization just over a year ago. I saw her in this same viewing cave right by the window yesterday and today. The older male they have taken off exhibit usually hid behind branches in the very back. He did not make a good exhibit animal (according to staff) and the second viewing area with harp wire has been closed to the public for at least the last two years because of him (see photo here: ocelot viewing - ZooChat ). According to a keeper it is hoped that viewing area can be opened again once they are sure this ocelot is comfortable with the public.
    • snowleopard
      An outstanding photo! Wow. :)
    • Arizona Docent
      I normally prefer to shoot through the harpwire, which as I said is closed (though the other one between bobcats and gray fox remains open). Thankfully the glass in these exhibits has no distortion so I can still get good shots. Some zoos use glass or acrylic that has a color cast and/or a waviness/haziness that makes sharp photos impossible.
    • Terry Thomas
      Very nice shot.
    • Arizona Docent
      Last night I went for their summer night opening and it was the first time I have been since I took this photo two months ago. The ocelot exhibit had a sign saying exhibit temporarily empty, so I am not sure what is going on. The former porcupine exhibit (to the left of ocelot exhibit) is still empty as well - it has been for a few months since they moved the porcupine next to mountain lion (former thick-billed parrot exhibit). However the empty porcupine exhibit (which also has a sign saying temporarily empty) now has a lot (I mean A LOT) of dead branches and logs strewn across the ground. They cover the entire exhibit. Does this mean something new is coming? Hmmm...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    6 May 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    434.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    900px
    Height:
    600px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
    Date / Time:
    2019:05:06 09:35:00
    Exposure Time:
    1/125 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    182 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).