Join our zoo community
Baldur

Zoo Negara Malaysia - Primate cages

January 2008 Primate cages held the following: White-Handed Gibbon – Not seen Silvered-Leaf Monkey Hanuman Langur Lion-Tailed Macaque – Not seen Olive Baboon Stump-Tailed Macaque Blue monkey

Zoo Negara Malaysia - Primate cages
Baldur, 18 Feb 2010
    • Baldur
      January 2008

Primate cages held the following:

White-Handed Gibbon – Not seen
      Silvered-Leaf Monkey
      Hanuman Langur
      Lion-Tailed Macaque – Not seen
      Olive Baboon
      Stump-Tailed Macaque
      Blue monkey
    • Mzungu
      These enclosures look a good size. In fact all the enclosures at this place look reasonable. the lion enclosure looks abit on the small side though.
    • Baldur
      You are correct. While Zoo Negara is not like its neighbour Singapore Zoo, it is a really good zoo with many large and naturalistic enclosures. I will even allow myself to say that the only totally weak bit of the zoo is the bear exhibits (have a look at my photos and I'm sure you will agree). The lion enclosures (they have both African and Indian lions, must be one of few zoos in the world) are a bit small, but I have seen such horrible facilities for big cats in my time that I'm not really bothered. As to the primate cages, yes, they are big and with some reasonable number of climbing chances; again, I have seen such horrible primate cages in other zoos that I cannot complain about those at Zoo Negara.
    • Mzungu
      woow ive never heard of that either. ive heard of zoos having two diff species of tiger but not lion, plus they have orangs and chimps. some collections in the UK would be great with some animals found in this zoo.
    • Baldur
      EEP does not allow both lion species together in the same zoo, so it would be out of the question in Europe. You will find photos of both exhibits and animals in the gallery. The Asiatic lion pair were old, the African couple was young; I even saw the latter couple enter the water, I think the first time I have seen adult lions do so.
    • Mzungu
      Ahh thats interesting, why is that? the chances of disease ect? i saw that hte african pair looked young. and yeah some lions are ok with water, i think its a myth that only tigers like water, jaguars are good swimmers too :p
    • Baldur
      I think it has more to do with accidental inbreeding than diseases actually, although the chance that an escaped African lion would leap into (or manage to get in at all) the Asiatic lion enclosure, or vice versa, seems little to me.
    • Mzungu
      haha hmm yeah thats true, im sure some zoos in the UK have two species of tiger, surely the same rules would apply.
    • Cat-Man
      Tierpark Berlin keeps both African And Asiatic Lion
    • BjoernN
      Tierpark Berlin keeps Asiatic lions, there is NO zoo in Europa, that keeps both.....
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Negara
    Uploaded By:
    Baldur
    Date:
    18 Feb 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: