Join our zoo community
Moebelle

Zoo Tours: The Asia Trail

Moebelle, 14 Jul 2019
    • TinoPup
      Glad to see the sloth bears were no shows for you too, like they always are for everyone else :D
      But wow, you got to see the pandas outside and doing stuff other than napping! The new signage they put in looks nice. I think you were rather generous with the signs, etc for other parts of the trail... much of it is rather faded and drab looking now, making the area feel more dated than it is.
    • Andrew_NZP
      @TinoPup For a couple years now I've felt that Asia Trail could use a little upgrade. Update and replace the signs, railings, benches ect.

And while unlikely, because, you know, money, why not a add a new species or two? They have that entire hillside, they surely could do something with it.
    • StoppableSan
      @Andrew_NZP *cough cough Indian rhinos* in all seriousness, Maybe moving the Sumatran tigers from Great Cats and utilizing some of the forested area near the Bird House? (Maybe even overlooking Elephant Trails). What about introducing some other species, like flying foxes, gharial, gibbons, and an extension of the O-Line? IDK, please feel free to add on or list any more suggested species.
      TinoPup and Hipporex like this.
    • TinoPup
      I agree, about upgrading and adding species. It really isn't much of an "Asia" trail when it only includes a few carnivore species. Along with the lack of species in general, most often aren't visible - on a bad day you might only see the pandas, and those are possibly leaving in a year and a half. The salamander exhibit has been empty for years. The zoo has plenty of room to bring in others. Add some storks or cranes, some smaller mammals, maybe a herd of something.
    • TinoPup
    • Andrew_NZP
      Personally, without bringing a new species, felt that they could easily move the orangutans/gibbons/siamangs (at least the gibbons/siamangs), the tigers and some bird species.

Hell just add the whole continent.
    • StoppableSan
      @Andrew_NZP If the pandas were to leave and never return, maybe they could utilize the space for snow leopards...?
    • Andrew_NZP
      @Wyman Maybe, however giant pandas have been in the National Zoos collections for nearly 50 years, the zoo has basically built their entire brand around the species. I just can't imagine the Nationa Zoo without pandas. I don't see the zoo not doing all they can to keep the pandas.
    • TinoPup
      I'm with Andrew, I would be floored if they truly lost them; the only way I can see it potentially happening is because of politics. If they did, they wouldn't remodel, they'd wait until they could get the bears back. Their identity is those bears.
    • Ebirah766
      @TinoPup

Ha. Foolish mortal. I ACTUALLY SAW THE SLOTH BEARS WHEN I VISITED
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Smithsonian National Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Moebelle
    Date:
    14 Jul 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count: