Join our zoo community
Moebelle

Zoo Tours: The Tembo Trail & the Hippoquarium

Moebelle, 17 Feb 2019
    • DavidBrown
      Where were the giraffes, zebras, and antelope in the original Africa zone before moving to the current savanna exhibit? Was their former exhibit turned into elephant space?
    • Moebelle
      @DavidBrown You'll subtly notice near the beginning, a custom made map of silhouettes that show what the African Savannah looked like. Judging from research, and old maps, giraffes, zebras and Savanna antelope were never mentioned. According to a a map and Youtube video before the 2010 renovations, part of the current right elephant habitat was a smaller Kori Bustard yard. That, and the former Children's Zoo outside of the trail. That's about as far as it goes in regards to what the elephants replaced. But just in case that doesn't pertain to your exact question, are you implying that you know for fact giraffes were part of the old Savannah?
    • DavidBrown
      @Moebelle Yes, I remember seeing maps of the Toledo Zoo from the 1990s and that giraffes and antelope were part of the original Africa exhibit. That was before the current Africa expansion existed.
    • Moebelle
      @DavidBrown Interesting, well after looking over photos through this gallery again, I got the implication that part of their exhibit, at least may have been exhibited behind the hippos. At least partially behind it, bleeding into part of the current left elephant yard. Considering there's a lot of exhibit space behind the hippos on the old maps, it makes sense. Hopefully someone can solve answer this.
    • DavidBrown
      @Moebelle I wondered if maybe the camel space was the former giraffe area. You mentioned that bongos were there once, so we know that it held African hoof stock at one point. Does the Toledo Zoo no longer have lions, or is there a new lion exhibit somewhere else in the zoo?
    • Moebelle
      @DavidBrown Could be a possibility as well considering it's size. Let's go with that. I'm not arguing it but the reason I have doubts is the way the exhibit is shaped with mounds, it just doesn't seem like it would be a good fit for giraffes. After the white lions passed, they weren't replaced with more nor is there a new exhibit elsewhere.
    • Moebelle
      @DavidBrown Here's a map from the 90's. It says Giraffes and Elephants shared the barn. It also says Ostriches, antelope and something else that begins with a 'G'. Don't think it's giraffe though.

The Toledo Zoo
    • DavidBrown
      @Moebelle Interesting. Thanks for the find. Maybe the giraffe yard got taken over by the elephants when the giraffes moved to the new savanna zone.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toledo Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Moebelle
    Date:
    17 Feb 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count: