Join our zoo community
Toddy

ZOOM - Hippo exhibit

Part of the hippo exhibit as seen from one of the boats in the African Queen Boat Safari in the wetlands-biotope of the Africa theme in ZOOM Erlebniswelt, Germany. A very nice and spacious exhibit of approx. 2700 sqm meters (0.67 acres) where lake makes up 700 sqm (0.17 acres) of that. The species in the wetland exhibit are common hippopotamus, sitatunga and saddle-billed stork. The boat ride takes approx. 20 minutes and is free of charge. The hippos can also be viewed on foot. ZOOM Erlebniswelt is a brand new zoo built completely from scratch on the site of the old Ruhr Zoo. It is divided into three large themes: Alaska (2005), Africa (2006) and Asia (2010). July 2009

ZOOM - Hippo exhibit
Toddy, 22 Oct 2009
    • Toddy
      Part of the hippo exhibit as seen from one of the boats in the African Queen Boat Safari in the wetlands-biotope of the Africa theme in ZOOM Erlebniswelt, Germany. A very nice and spacious exhibit of approx. 2700 sqm meters (0.67 acres) where lake makes up 700 sqm (0.17 acres) of that.
      The species in the wetland exhibit are common hippopotamus, sitatunga and saddle-billed stork. The boat ride takes approx. 20 minutes and is free of charge. The hippos can also be viewed on foot.

ZOOM Erlebniswelt is a brand new zoo built completely from scratch on the site of the old Ruhr Zoo. It is divided into three large themes: Alaska (2005), Africa (2006) and Asia (2010).

July 2009
    • Arizona Docent
      Wow, that looks really nice.
    • snowleopard
      No underwater viewing present? Regardless, this seems to be a highly-rated Nile Hippo exhibit and I've heard that there have been 5 hippos at the zoo in the past. Is that still the case?
    • Gulo gulo
      what a great looking enclosure! I wish American Zoos would take notice of exhibits like this and WORZ.
    • chizlit
      I don't think the hippo's have access to all the water shown as it's used for a boat ride for visitors, regardless it's a nice looking area in what I consider to be a great zoo although it doesn't feature on many peoples top 10 ( it does in mine!).
    • Toddy
      All the water area in this photo is available to the hippos + more. This picture is taken from the boat ride.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZOOM Erlebniswelt
    Uploaded By:
    Toddy
    Date:
    22 Oct 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    240.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/9.0
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-510
    Date / Time:
    2009:07:15 15:48:04
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    14 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).