Join our zoo community

100,000 / 1,000 / 100

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 4 Apr 2010.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

As we approach 100,000 photos in the gallery, I note we are also approaching 1,000 zoos and are on our way to having coverage from 100 different countries.

11 new countries will be a little tricky to get, especially since I don't want to be adding a new country just for the sake of it - I'd prefer there to be zoos or aquariums listed for each country with photos uploaded as well if possible.

So if you have any other zoo photos in your collection from zoos in countries not yet covered by ZooChat - please list them in the new photo gallery request thread so I can add them to the database: http://www.zoochat.com/4/new-photo-gallery-request-thread-3-a-138573/

2. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

well i know these arn't really countries but the Zoos in the overseas territories (eg The British Overseas Territories and The French Depended Departments) don't seem to be listet in the UK/Frace forums so prehaps you could include separate sections for those?

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Which photo will be number 100,000? I uploaded some from the Greater Vancouver Zoo yesterday, but I stopped short so that someone else can have the "honour" of posting the 100,000th photo. It is amazing at how ZooChat has grown over the years, and kudos must go to its founder and the excellent moderators. Keep up the great work!:)

4. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do u include Hong Kong and macau as separate contries coz officialy they r

5. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I see we have passed 100'000 pics, so who got the magic number?

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

It is somewhat difficult to identify the exact photo which was number 100,000 ... photos get deleted, sometimes there are issues with photos that need to be uploaded again.

We also have off-topic photos and photos not from zoos, etc ... should these be counted too?

Anyway, photos are each assigned a unique ID in the database, starting with photo #1 way back at the beginning. The 100,000th photo to be ever uploaded to this site was this one by snowleopard:

[​IMG]

... but if we only consider photos that are still in the database (ie not deleted, not in the trashcan, etc): then the 100,000th photo is probably something like geomorph's:

[​IMG]

(click on the photos above to be taken to the discussion thread for that photo)

8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Would it be possible to increase the maximum number of photos viewed daily (the "new photos" link on the main bar) to 1,000? Currently the maximum number of new photos stored is set at 500, but sometimes there are 500 photos uploaded on a single day! Anyone who doesn't log onto ZooChat for a few days could easily miss a couple of thousand photos.

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

says snowleopard :D

10. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Just out of interest what was the first photo to be uploaded to Zoochat?