Join our zoo community

100,000 euros and establish your own zoo

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 1 Mar 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Let say you got 100,000.0 euros (about 109,000.0 USD) or you already have them, will you try to establish a small zoo first. A more realistic approach that arguing about big zoo for wich are needed milions, if not bilions... and more people can actually try with these money, and in reality, smaller part of us will ever try to establish big modern zoo for wich are needed milions of money.

So will you try with 100,000.0 euros, and what type of zoo would it be, the size of the whole zoo, the first animals that you will want/try/get in your zoo.

Ok this sum of money has different power in different countries, but lets talk just for that sum of money.

Eg. you can buy a Eastern green mamba for about 200.0 euros including transport, and plus antivenom for about 90.0 euros.

2. Nikola Chavkosk

I would first purchase about 20,000 square metres land (but first I will sent for testing, the soil from the area, for eventual radiation and for the content of lead and zinc) and if ok then I will buy the land :p This 20,000 square metres here can be purchased from 250.0 euros to 1,000.0 euros/per 1,000 square metres (more distant from a town).

Then making plan, building infrastructure and enclosures

Planting trees/smaller plants (eg. fig trees, olive trees, almonds, apricot, pseudoacacia, tropical in indoor enclosures and terrariums - like ficus or benjamin fig.

Purchasing additional cheap 4000 square metres, for willow tree, as browse.

Opening veterinary service, licencing etc.

And obtaining animals then.

3. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member

i think you ought to join our fantasy zoo game 2016

4. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

I do not have much notion of prices, mainly in euros and dollars, but I'll try...

I buy a small land in a medium city of Brazil that haven't big zoos.
    Before the animals arrive, leave everything ready: food stands, bathrooms, workers...
    The animals would be:
    Meerkats. Peoples enjoy and isn't very difficult to maintain.
    Fennec foxes. I think that don't have fennecs in Brazil
    3 small exhibits with common marmosets, blue and gold macaw and toco toucan.
    One small reptile house that have jackson chameleons (chameleons are rare in Brazil, and would make sucess), green iguanas sharing exhibit with red-footed tortoises and red tailed boas.

The first entrance price is 10,00$ for adults and 5,00$ for childrens, students, teachers and eldery.

In weekends, guests can take encounters with boas, iguanas, chameleons, toucans, macaws and marmosets for 15,00$. Encounters with fennecs and meerkats are 75,00$.

As time goes, i build more 10 or 15 small exhibits, like small cages, terrariums, aquariums...

Blue and gold macaw now have a bigger exhibit with red and green macaws.

So now the price of the entrance is 15,00$ for adults and 10,00$ for childrens, students...

There are more POSSIBLE animal encounters: Emperor scorpion, tarantula, leopard gecko, bearded dragon, cornsnake, kingsnake, african gray parrot, ecletus parrot, iguana, boa, red and green macaw, blue and gold macaw, toco toucan, veiled chameleon, common marmoset, golden lion tamarin, fennec fox, meerkat encounters. The prices are 15,00$, 20,00$, 25,00$ and 75,00$, the price depends of the animal.

When possible, start to buy more expensive animals that guests like:
    Kangaroo, wallabie and emu, in a petting zoo.
    Ring-tailed lemurs, with expensive encounters.
    African penguin.
    Asian small-clawed otter.
    American beaver.
    Southern anteater.
    Armadillo.
    Bigger monkeys...

5. Nikola Chavkosk

I would not love to have a petting corner of my eventual zoo. I know that that can influence the number of visitors, and particualrly visitors with childrens, but I would not love to have a petting zoo-corner, neither to keep domestic animals in a zoo. Ok I will keep goats, rabbits, and mice, and maybe chickens as food for carnivorous animals, but they will be slaughtered in a slaughter house or euthanised at the zoo in a gas chamber, but they will not be fed alive to carnivores, and such thing can even be ilegal to do.

Plus there is a petting zoo here in Prilep with ponies, a liama, pheasants, chickens, deer, pigeons, peacocks.. but I do not consider them as true zoos, and according to regulations, the zoo is facility where wild animals are exhibited for 7 or more days in a year...

Last edited: 20 Mar 2016
  6. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

I'm also not a fan of petting zoos, so the price should be at least a little expensive.

7. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I would first decide how much to set aside as a financial reserve in case of emergencies or budget shortfall.
    I would then determine how much to budget for fund-raising and development since a 100,000EURO zoo is really only a small private collection that wants to charge visitors.
    I would then determine what staff was needed and set aside funds to hire and pay them.
    I would next realize I didn't have enough money to purchase land, purchase animals, hire staff, build proper holding areas, provide proper veterinary care, and I would sit down and figure out a sensible goal and a financial plan to get me there.

You have started out backwards, I believe, with money to spend and a plan derived from the money. You would do better to start with a plan and then work to collect the funds required.
    Even a Fantasy Zoo can be sensible. Unless the collection includes unicorns and dinosaurs