Join our zoo community

New York Aquarium New York Aquarium, Beluga Whales, Dolphins and The Orca

Discussion in 'United States' started by Cat-Man, 2 Oct 2009.

1. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What happened to the Beluga Whales and Dolphins. Is it true that they once kept an Orca?

2. ollielloyd

ollielloyd Well-Known Member

Hello,

The NY Aquarium did have 1 (or more?) Orca, a very long time ago in the late 60's, when they were first being captured for Aquariums. You can see some photos of her here:

Lupa

Unfortunatly, she died after just 8 months in captivity.

[​IMG]
    Bottlenose dolphins were kept there for a while too, in what I'm assuming is now the seal/sea-lion enclosure? The pool size actually doesn't look too bad, so not totally sure why they left.

Belugas were exhibited there for a while too, however they were re-located to the Georgia Aquarium, on a breeding loan. I'm guessing they still belong to the New York Aquarium (?), and since they are on breeding loan it can only be assumed within the next few years if a few beluga calves are born, some of the Belugas may well be moved back to New York.

The Belugas from NY at the Georgia Aquarium are Natasha and Maris Sadly Marina The Beluga was also from NY, however passed away at The Georgia Aquarium.

The NY Aquarium is planning a revamp soon also, however there arn't any talks of dolphins or whales returning, although like I said this may change in the future.

Hope that helps :D

Ollie

3. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

thanks, any more info my other members would also be appritiated

4. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

The NY Aquarium is planning a new beluga exhibit in the future, but nobody cans ay now when it will ahpepnd, becaus e as longa s the economy is down. Next project, they already have the money for it, because they saved it before the financial crisis, is a new, much bigger shark tank.

The NY Aquarium was very sucessful in breeding belugas, the first beluga born and raised in captivity was born at the NY Aquarium.

5. orcamad

orcamad Active Member

Does anyone have any photos of Lupa at New York?

ollielloyd, they only had Lupa between April 1968- September 1968

6. NYAquagirl

NYAquagirl New Member

Lupa was there for 7 months, she was kept in what is now the First main tank when you walk into the Main tank which is a coral reef tank.

During the summertime Tab and Presley and Jerri (he passed away in 1996/7) were kept in the Aquatheatre, In the winter time, they were kept in the indoor exhibit where Lupa was kept. Tab Passed away in feb of 2002 (he was 21) and Presley was moved in 2005 to CMA aquarium and then moved to Gulfworld Aquarium where he passed in 2007 (presley was 18).

As for the belugas they originally had 5 whales four females and one male. Casey (passed halloween of 1998), Kathy (was the oldest beluga @ 36yrs passed in 2004) and sadly Marina (passed in 2007) all passed away. Natasha now 30 and Maris now 15 yrs old are in the Georgia aquarium, but have been recently moved to Seaworld texas while GA renovates their tanks.

No Whales and Dolphins will return or brought to the NY Aquarium ever again. They plan to have an aquarium with Seals, sharks and other animals- including a huge shark tunnel. but no Cetaceans.

7. WiccanAngel

WiccanAngel New Member

Thank you SO much for this information! I used to be a docent at the aquarium when I was in high school. Natasha was my favorite of the whales, and I literally cried to find out that she was alive after all these years. I had read stories about all the other whales that dies. I guess I have to make a trip to Sea World (or GA Aquarium) soon!

Blessings!

8. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

remember, NYAquagirl, the belugas are being LOANED to the Gerogia Aquarium, meaning in a certain amount of time, they will return. I'm not sure how hey will be accomadated, though.

9. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's not quite how loans always work in the zoo field.

10. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, like gerenuk said, an animal loan can mean different things. The National Aquarium gave two beluga whales to Sea World of Texas on a permanent loan. Even though the National Aquarium still owns one of the whales, there is no in tension of ever bringing the whale (one has since died) back to Baltimore. Same I assume with New York. They are in the process of transforming the entire aquarium, so I doubt that the whales will ever be brought back to New York.