Join our zoo community

Vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by lechweoryx, 27 Jun 2010.

?

Vegetarian?

1. Vegetarian

13.3%
  2. Vegan

3.1%
  3. Pescatarian

6.1%
  4. I eat meat

77.6%
  1. lechweoryx

lechweoryx Well-Known Member

Just wondered how many zoochatters are vegetarian?

2. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm a veggie and proud :)

3. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

I am currently Vegetarian and have been for 18 months, I have been considering going back to meat over the next few days, as I miss Chicken, Crab, Duck and Salmon, I also think this will be a better diet for me as a growing child (Im 13) although....

I now think I will stay Vegetarian! I dont want to get fat, even a tiny bit podgy, I wont tolerate it!!! Its also to be different though.

I am staying Vegetarian and no one will change that.

4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

But animals taste so good!

It's personal choice at the end of the day but Paix (particularly given your age) if you're cutting out meat be very careful to get enough protein from other sources (and bear in mind that dairy products are probably more fattening than a lot of meat products!).

I can't say I think just wanting to be different is a particularly good reason to risk overbalancing your diet - what happened to hair dye and obscure musical groups? :D

5. Maguari

Oh, and what do pescatarians have against fish, exactly? ;)

6. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

For the methane argument, I don't eat red meats but do eat poultry, does that make me a veggie or a carnivore (or just plain difficult)?

7. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm mainly a carnivore, but will take a bit of fruit and veg when I fancy it.

8. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

I'm a carnivore and proud of it. My doctor has given me a clean bill of health and I hear the same when I give blood. Extreme diet of some kind doesn't do any good, vairity does the trick as well as the dose.

9. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

A vegetarian for over forty years!

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

In my opinion, if we weren't meant to eat animals then they shouldn't be made out of meat

11. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

wait a minute......humans being animals, are made out of meat too.

12. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I eat anything, just ask my employers, there's a recipie for everything in the zoo!

13. Maguari

Amen to that.

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

yes. Its only modern societal convention that stands in the way of cannibalism.

15. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

That's why human meat was/is referred to as "long pig" in some cannibalistic tribes...:D Hmm...pork.;)
    Does anyone remember manbeef.com?
    Manbeef.com -- Home

16. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

For your information Maguari I go out of my way to get a balanced diet, for example I take B12 Tablets, Multi-Vitimans, Plenty of Nuts and Veg, a medium amount of Dairy, lots of Qourn and flax (spelt right) seed oil in my diet so...

I think Im pretty healthy! :D

17. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Vegetarianism is not an extreme diet, on average vegetarians live longer and are healthier than meat-eating populations and have lower incidences of heart disease, some cancers, and other conditions such as diverticular disease. Some rare conditions eg anaemia related to vitamin B12 deficiency are commoner in vegetarians and especially vegans but by and large the health benefits outweigh the risks.

Err, thanks but I don't think I'll click on that link...

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I eat meat, and I eat fruits and vegetables too, but meat is definitely my favourite. I have been working in a slaughterhouse for three years, and I have seen my share of pigs getting killed. It isn't a pretty sight, that's true, but not as cruel as animal right activists are claiming it to be. It's quite humane, a pig gets sedated and are then stabbed through their throat, so their heart can pump out all of their blood. 99% of the pigs doesn't feel anything, but off course, since nothing is perfect in this world, sometimes theyu aren't sedated well, and actually suffer. But this happens only to a very small minority off the pigs! This method should be favoured over the so-called 'halal'-nethod worldwide, because it reduces animal suffering drasticly.

19. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Fish can swim away :D

I just say I don't eat meat, but I do eat fish, I never label myself as anything :p

20. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

OK, I have to say that one of the best parts of being a vegetarian for so long is seeing just how uncomfortable meat eaters get around the idea. I have never advocated a vegetarian diet to anyone (what do I care what you eat?) and am careful not to disparage the meat food of my fellow diners, and yet over the years I see the vast majority of meat eaters immediately start debating the presumed limitations of a vegetarian diet as soon as they meet a vegetarian.
    Folks, is there a problem? :D