Join our zoo community

1970's Central Park Koala?

Discussion in 'United States' started by beemo, 31 Jul 2016.

Tags:
  1. beemo

beemo New Member

Does anyone remember a Koala in the 1970's at Central Park Zoo?
    When I was little in the mid 70's my mom would take me to Central Park zoo often, and she swears to this day that they had a Koala at one time, I dont think he was there long, but I do remember that day as a kid (maybe 6 yrs old) her pointing in the cage and telling me to look at the koala, the memory is so vague, but I do remember a gray ball sleeping, never saw its face and I was not very interested.
    When this "mystery" koala was no longer there my mom told me a dark tale of it, which I will not repeat because I think its bogus...and I think the whole thing of central park ever having a koala is bogus...but my mom insists.
    So if anyone can prove that in the 1970's (probably mid 70's) that Central park did indeed house a koala please please share :)

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

DavidBrown is correct the only koalas in North America were the San Diego animals at that time.

I get your mom's confusion. To this day I could swear the first time Toronto Zoo had pandas I saw them from my stroller. However I have been assured by both of my parents I never saw them because they didn't take us to the zoo until we were too old for strollers. It's clearly some memory I manufactured based on news clips or something but it still feels like it was a real experience for me. Hard to say what happened in your case but sometimes our memories play tricks on us.

4. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I visited Berlin Zoo in 1984, I remember seeing three unusual birds in the Bird House: kagu, weka and takahe. Nobody has disputed the first two sightings, but I wonder what I saw if the third bird wasn't a takahe.

5. beemo

beemo New Member

Thank you everyone for clarifying this :)
    I'm so glad I posted, because I have been thinking about this for years, now I can finally put it behind me...phew!
    Not sure what she saw in that cage, red panda (red koala) sounds probable.
    Looking at all the old pictures online, I miss the old children's zoo with Whaley, and that old witch looking house, I think it was Hansel and Gretals house?

6. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

San Francisco Zoo also had koalss in the 1970s. For a period they were kept on a huge mature eucalyptus tree in the approximate location of today's "Grizzly Gulch".

7. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the correction. I only knew about the ones that arrived there in the 1980s in the current exhibit.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2016