Join our zoo community

Best State for Zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by KCZooFan, 11 Jan 2011.

?

What is the Best State for Zoos

1. California

39.7%
  2. Florida

11.5%
  3. New York

5.1%
  4. Ohio

26.9%
  5. Texas

16.7%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

What is the best America state for zoos?

2. elephantking

elephantking Well-Known Member

new york-
    bronx zoo-one of the best zoos in america
    central park zoo-small but great quality
    queens zoo- great north american selection
    ny aquarium- large marine mammal collection
    prospect park zoo
    seneca park
    buffalo
    etc.

3. elephantking

elephantking Well-Known Member

new york-
    bronx zoo-one of the best zoos in america
    central park zoo-small but great quality
    queens zoo- great north american selection
    ny aquarium- large marine mammal collection
    prospect park zoo
    seneca park
    buffalo
    etc.
    PLEASE DELETE REPEAT

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

GREAT IDEA FOR A POLL!

Boy, I had a really tough time deciding between Texas and Florida. I finally went with Texas, because I am not as much a fan of the animal theme parks of Florida and because Texas has so many excellent new exhibits that opened in 2010 - Dallas Zoo (Giants Of The Savannah), Fort Worth Zoo (Museum Of Living Art), El Paso Zoo (African Savannah), Houston Zoo (African Forest), San Antonio Zoo (Africa Alive). Fossil Rim is also great. Throw in the rare hoofstock of Gladys Porter Zoo and you have an unbeatable statewide assembly. (They even have a Sea World for you marine mammal fans).

Pleistohorse likes this.
  5. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

We also had to go with Texas although the struggle was with California

Team Tapir

6. sandiegomaster

sandiegomaster Well-Known Member

I have to go with California, first off I think that San Diego's six zoos, one museum (NHM) and the Julian area wolf center are better than all of the Ohio's and New York's zoos. The list of of zoos in CA is impressive and I'm not including any of the museums that also have a collection of animal species.

List of Zoo's and Aquariums
    Aquarium of the Bay · Aquarium of the Pacific · Birch Aquarium at Scripps · Cabrillo Marine Aquarium · California Academy of Sciences · Monterey Bay Aquarium · Ocean Institute · Roundhouse Marine Studies Lab & Aquarium · Santa Monica Pier Aquarium · Sea Life Aquarium at Legoland California · Ty Warner Sea Center · Chaffee Zoological Gardens · Charles Paddock Zoo · Folsom City Zoo Sanctuary · Happy Hollow Park & Zoo · Living Desert Zoo and Gardens · Los Angeles Zoo · Micke Grove Zoo · Moonridge Animal Park · Oakland Zoo · Orange County Zoo · Sacramento Zoo · San Diego Wild Animal Park · San Diego Zoo · San Francisco Zoo · Santa Ana Zoo · Santa Barbara Zoo · Sequoia Park Zoo · Shambala Preserve · Wildlife WayStation · SeaWorld San Diego · Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Florida and Texas has some cool zoos but not any that I would prefer over SD safari park.

7. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The reasons I vote for California are:

- It shows all must-have-species plus (public drawing) rarities like Giant Pandas, Orcas AND Koalas.
    - Because of the climathic situation year round Zoo-Season.
    - Many big(ger) Zoos, Aquarias and Marineparks within short distances (short for US-Citizens:))
    - relaxing Holiday feeling even when a zoo or marinepark is crowded (Don't know why).

8. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was surprise to see NY on the poll. Don't get me wrong, it's my home state and I love the zoos near by, but I also grew up with them. I know a lot of NY zoos have shortcomings, but then I thought it's probably because of NYC zoos, with Bronx Zoo always being raved about.

I voted for Ohio. I haven't been to all the zoos yet, but when I think of the state, I can list 5 off that I know and that have decent reputations. It reminded me I'd love to go to Cincinnati this year. It may not happen, but then I'd at least like to try for Toledo or Akron.

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I can't believe how many votes California is getting. Keep in mind the poll is Best State for Zoos, NOT Best State for Aquariums. San Diego is great, but one or two zoos do not qualify the entire state. I mean look at that long list that was posted - half of those (Orange County, Folsom, Moonridge, etc) are complete jokes. They are roadside cage menageries that most people would not waste their time at.

This is NOT which state has the most zoos or which state has the single best zoo (e.g. Bronx or San Diego), but which state is the best for zoo visits OVERALL. Just my opinion and I do not object to people posting theirs, but I don't think some people are being objective. Now if we retitle the thread to say "zoos & aquariums", then California might be in the running because of Monterey Bay and the other excellent aquariums. But having grown up in California and having visited zoos in every part of the country, it is my firm opinion that California would never win in an objective nationwide competition. As I stated in my earlier post, the only real contenders are Texas and Florida.

Now for the fun part. Let the rebuttals begin...

10. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree California really only has 3 good zoos (San Diego 2x and Oakland, with LA improving). Aquariums on the other hand are well represented by several excellent institutions: Monterey, Steinhart, Aquarium of the Bay, Long Beach, Scripps, even Sea World.

But the wild card state for zoos is Ohio. Per capita, it really is a pretty remarkable state for zoos: Columbus, Cincinnati, the Wilds, Cleveland, Akron and Toledo all within a few hours drive of one another....

11. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

florida, hands down for me. tennessee should be on the poll, as well

12. team tapir

We have always considered aquariums to be zoological institutions and when we were considering a vote for California we were certainly including Cali's aquariums as well as Sea World.However we are standing by our vote for Texas and also agree TN should have been on the poll.

Team Tapir

13. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thats what I thought too, Team Tapir. There are to many forms of zoological institutions that there can anyone draw a strict line and say: This is a pure zoo and this is a pure aquarium.

Another point that make this rating difficult is: What does count more: Fewer zoos, but more species and rarities or more zoos and less species and rarities? And how we weight the point that in some states you can see the animals year round outside, where in others many animals are hidden in their - for visitors non visible - indoor accomodations?

I guess this rating here is mostly leaded by personal impressions and just a little by hard facts.

14. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to ask about this for a long time and I hope you don't mind me doing so. How many are behind the username 'Team Tapir'? Is it a marriage or a friendship of two individuals which both happen to be crazy about Tapirs, or is it some kind of club or society dedicated to the same cause? You always write in plural so I'm sure there are more people than me wondering.

Just curious! :D

15. team tapir

Bonnie and I are a true zoo love story we met several years ago on E Harmony.One of the first things to catch my attention on her profile was that a couple of her photos were taken at the Toledo and Cincinnati zoo_On our first date she was astonished at the number of zoos I have been to and she having only been to the Ohio zoos aspired to go to more.We have since been engaged and share our passion for wild animals.The name Team Tapir was inspired by love notes I would write to Bonnie where I would draw a silly picture of a tapir at the bottom each one,that coupled with the fact we often refer to our relationship as a Team We some how came up with the name Team Tapir.We both use this user name often consulting each other on topics and occasionally making a post or response on our own.I realize this is totally off topic but have no problem answering your question and hope everyone enjoys our story.

Marty and Bonnie Team Tapir

JVM likes this.
  16. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

A great story; I had to ask; good luck to both of you! :)

Sorry folks, where were we again before I interupted with my off-topic thing? :D

17. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

This is a great thread and one that I've been following with a lot of interest as I've had a similar discussion with zoo friends in the past. The notion whether or not to include aquariums can alter the process, and that is an intriguing point as I can comprehend arguments from both sides. Anyway, the initial list of 5 nominees is almost correct but there could possibly be a change. Tennessee replacing New York would be my personal choice, and here are my thoughts:

Top 5 U.S. states for zoos:

#5 - Tennessee: Nashville is a brilliant little zoo, packed with many outstanding habitats and moden-day levels of exhibitry. Memphis is also a much loved zoo that has steadily improved over the years. Knoxville has some nice elements, and even tiny Chattanooga is worth a visit. Toss in the Tennessee Aquarium (possibly one of the 5 best in America) and this U.S. state makes it to #5 on my list.

#4 - California: San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park are both top 10 material, but after that there are many good but not great establishments. Oakland is supposedly excellent but tiny (I have yet to visit), and there are fairly minor zoological parks like Fresno Chaffee, Santa Barbara, The Living Desert and Sacramento. I'm not a big fan of either San Francisco or Los Angeles, so after the two San Diegos there isn't a lot of outstanding stuff in the golden state. Aquariums are a totally different matter with several excellent ones, but only counting zoos I'd place California at #4.

#3 - Ohio: I love Columbus and think that it is a top 5 zoo, and Cleveland, Cincinnati and Toledo are all well worth visiting and each for different reasons. Cleveland has a fantastic rainforest and a large Australian section, Cincinnati arguably has the most diverse collection, and Toledo is a pleasant mix of old and new exhibitry. Toss in tiny Akron and The Wilds and based on the size of the state I can see why some folks place Ohio in the number one position. However, only Columbus is a top zoo for me while the rest are very good but not brilliant in any category.

#2 - Florida: There are some big guns in this large state, and I personally think that Zoo Miami would crack my top 10 and that both Jacksonville and Disney's Animal Kingdom (even with my hit-and-miss review of that billion-dollar establishment) are strong candidates for a position in the top 20 zoos in America. So right off the bat Florida beats out Tennessee, California and Ohio for top zoos. Then there is Busch Gardens, Lowry Park, and smaller places like Brevard, Naples and Palm Beach. I've even visited the private White Oak collection, but not even counting that place I'd have Florida in the #2 position.

#1 - Texas - This is America's second largest state (surpassed only by Alaska) and thus that aids things considerably. There isn't a zoo that would crack my top 10, but Dallas is awfully close and is by far and away the best that Texas has to offer. However, Cameron Park, Fort Worth, Houston, Caldwell, Gladys Porter, El Paso and San Antonio (in that exact order) are all worth visiting for one reason or another. I've personally toured all 8 of those zoos, and with Dallas standing out as the clear best, San Antonio as easily the worst, then there are 6 other zoos that are all of decent quality in the middle. No other state has the quantity of top-notch zoos, and to top it all off 2010 was an amazing year for Texas zoological parks. "Giants of the Savanna" at Dallas, "MOLA" at Fort Worth, "African Forest" at Houston, "Africa Live" at San Antonio and "Africa" at El Paso represents around $130 million in improvements, and so that state is my clear #1. There is only one truly great zoo, but the overall quality is very impressive.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2011
    Pleistohorse likes this.
  18. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

I voted for CA because they have my #1 zoo, my #4 zoo(in the 4-7 range if including zoos I haven't been to), two solid zoos in LA and Oakland, SF, Living Desert, Sacramento(maybe?) and Santa Barbara all have some good things, and there's some small zoos that have some appealing aspects like Orange County(I would not call it a joke at all) and Santa Ana.

Meanwhile, I've never been to a Texas zoo, but I suspect they wouldn't have a zoo that would beat either SD zoo for me, and they may not have a top 10 zoo in the country as SL suggests. So I'll take quality over quantity.

Ohio is a good state for zoos, but I'd put Columbus behind both SD zoos, and the other ones probably aren't significantly better than the likes of LA and Oakland, at least not enough to make up for the gap at the top imo.

Florida has a very good zoo in Miami and a very good park in DAK, but the zoo is far behind SD and the park is likely below SDSP. So after that they again have some good zoos that should beat out the next zoos in CA, but not enough to make me want to miss out on the high quality of the SD establishments.

So yeah, I think it's very defensible to take CA if one cares more about quality than quantity. Plus the quantity is decent in CA as well.

19. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

If this were facebook I would "like" this. :)

20. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I think the poll is showing some bias. Except for Texas, every state in the poll has someone who lives in that state voting for their home state. Of 4 people voting for Texas, none live there, and 3 have been to the majority of the zoos there. Curious.

I am currently not voting, but the clear 3 front runners are Ohio, Florida, and Texas for me.

Pleistohorse likes this.