Join our zoo community

2 Small Collections to visit.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by AdrianW1963, 12 Jun 2018.

1. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member

Will be going to Stratford-upon-Avon Butterfly Farm this week and to Akamba Tropical House in Whitlock’s End

Never been to Stratford-Upon-Avon Butterfly Farm so am really looking forward to my visit hopefully will be able to get a review of the Butterfly Farm should be a great day out especially as it’s in a great town.

Akamba Tropical house is actually sited inside a Heritage centre and garden centre last visited here last November on a very cold and damp morning with snow still on the ground has a small bird collection in a small walk about and a reptile house that holds some great species but again it’s a small area you could do both in 30 minutes but I did enjoy that visit so have decided to go back.

My Question is do people on here want a review and a species list from my visits this week as I can’t find any on here.

Akamba species list from my last visit in 2017

AFRICAN BULLFROG
    AFRICAN GREY HORNBILL
    BEARDED BARBET
    CARPET PYTHON
    CRESTED GECKO
    CUT THROAT FINCH
    GLOSSY STARLING
    LESSER BLUE EARED STARLING
    LILAC BREASTED ROLLER
    NAPOLEAN/YELLOW CROWNED WEAVER
    NEW CALIDONIAN GAINT GECKO
    PANTHER CHAMELEON
    PILATED LIZARD
    RED BILLED QUELEA
    RED CRESTED TURACO
    RED WINGED STARLING
    SAVANNAH MONITOR
    AFRICAN CLAWED FROG
    AMAZON MILK FROG
    ARGENTINE HORNED FROG
    ASIAN FOREST SCORPION
    BANDED BULLFROG
    CHILEAN ROSE TARANTULA
    CIAMAN LIZARD
    GAINT AFRICAN MILLIPEDE
    GAINT AFRICAN TIGER SNAIL
    LEOPARD TORTOISE
    HERMANN’S TORTOISE
    SULCATA TORTOISE
    MADAGASCAN HISSING COCKROACH
    RED EYED TREE FROG
    ROYAL/BALL PYTHON
    SINALOAN MILK SNAKE
    WESTERN HOGNOSED SNAKE
    WHITE’S TREE FROG
    SUPERB STARLING
    TAVETA WEAVER
    VIEILLIOT’S BLACK WEAVER
    VILLAGE WEAVER
    WHITE CROWNED ROBIN CHAT
    YELLOW SONG SPARROW

will update with new species list if people require.

Canihelpyou? and Brum like this.
  2. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to see an updated species list and review for Akamba. Cheers!

3. AdrianW1963

Hoping to do Akamba on way back from Butterfly Farm so will update on Saturday

4. AdrianW1963

Visited Stratford-Upon-Avon Butterfly Farm yesterday 14/06/2018, it clashed with a few school outings so was a little noisy so I just hung around for a while just inside till the children had moved on.
    On entering the Walk through (just one big walk through that is) you were greeted with loads of free flying butterflies of all descriptions they were every where.
    They do have a few feeding stumps around these were covered in butterflies from very small to very large butterflies, the plantation was superb with easy viewing from one side of the walkway to the other side of the walkway and yet it was very dense in places but very well managed.
    There is a good sized pool as you walk around this does have Japanese Koi Carp in and as water lillies also again this is very well managed and gives great views from one side to the other.
    The walk through also takes you into 2 small indoor exhibits containing Snakes, Amphibians & Insects did manage to get a few lifers in this area and what surprised me the most was that they have Leaf Cutter Ants walking over ropes above your head in the open (no glass or anything for that matter) they were a real joy to watch .
    Now on to the bird collection, what bird collection they currently hold just 3 species of bird Ring necked parakeet, Speckled Mousebird & Japanese Quail and that is it, mind you as a bird lover this didn't take anything away from my enjoyment of the day.
    Also on your walk about look out for a rather large Central Green Iguana many took it for a statue but no it's real trust me a beautiful specimen.

To sum up -

A great day out with very friendly and informative staff, a brilliant collection of butterflies and other species.
    Unfortunately you could cover the whole collection in about an hour but do I as did walk round once then go have something to eat take a walk along the river then go back in again (free as you can use your ticket all day).
    Will be returning around October time this year

Will be putting a COMPLETE species list on here after I have looked at over 2,000 images taken (did ask staff for information on species and did get great feed back from them as to the species they hold)

Brum and Falconhoof like this.
  5. AdrianW1963

Just added some images to the Identification gallery on the first and second current pages any help would be greatly received please take a look and try and help ID them.

6. AdrianW1963

Just found the gallery for Butterfly Farm will be updating with a complete list of ALL species at the collection once I have the last 5 butterflies ID'd these are now in the Gallery for Butterfly Farm.
    Many thanks to people who have helped me so far