Join our zoo community

2 zoos and an aquarium

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dom, 14 Aug 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

I posted a thread many months back asking recomendations on zoos and wildlife parks in the Devon area. Having returned from Devon, we managed to sqeeze in visits to Paigntonn zoo, The national marine aquarium in Plymouth and Dartmoor wildlife park.

Paignton zoo

Good points-

The sun was shining, so many animals were out and about. Saw both an armadillo and an echidna, for the first time ever! Orangs were all rather active outside, as was a red panda which spent most of its time running round the trees and then bounding through the branches in its exibit. Giant amazonian lily flower was out in the crocodile swamp.

Average points-

I thought the crocodile exibits in the crocodile swamp were ok, but they were nothing spectacular. Spent ages looking for the porcupine house, signposts were a little confusing!

Bad points-

Didnt see the tigers, and we found 5 dead blind cave fish at the start of the reptile house... i think the tank neaded cleaning. And the other visitors were annoying. Also the snake houses in croc swamp were terrible.

All in all a good day, even better becuase of the weather.

The national marine aquarium

Good points- Huge sand tiger sharks!! Was fantastic to see them swimming overhead, rather unexpected too! I thought the jellyfish collection was excellent too. The information signs throughout were good too.

Average points-

Most of the tanks were very good, with healthy looking species inside.

Bad points-

The turtle was unfortunatly not on show, and i thought that the aquarium didnt really have that many tanks for the size of the building, i think the top storey was perhaps a little unessesary, and could be redeveloped for more fish etc...

Dartmoor wildlife park

good points-

All the animals seemed healthy. Most enclousures were large, and big enough for their inhabitants. Signs on exibits were informative, and provided plenty of information obout the animals in the park. The staff i met were friendly, and there was plenty of "sprucing up" going on round the site. I also stroked the owners family cat!!

Average points-

Obviously the place is still slightly ramshackle, but there are many improvements underway.

Bad points-

It was very difficult to actually find the place! And when we arrived, we had to park in a disabled space at the top of the hill, and noone asked for any money, so being the honest people we are, we walked down the hill and explaind and paid. They just need to be more alert for that kinda stuff.

Well that was it really....not the best or most detailed reviews, but they are my opinions etc...

Thanks

2. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A good review. Good to see DWP is improving over time. I must pay a visit when I'm next down there.

3. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review we are going to Devon on holiday at the end of September.

How long did you spend at the aquarium at Plymouth? Was there anything else good to do in Plymouth after :)

Many thanks

4. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It depends what you're interested in. Plymouth is a historic port and naval base. Plymouth Hoe with Smeatons Tower (lighthouse), museums, citadel, various harbours and docks, views over Plymouth Sound, Brunel's Bridge over the Tamar ......What gives shop-starved people from Torbay a high is the new Drake Circus Shopping Centre :)

5. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Thanks Gigit I like to make a day of something lol We do enjoy our photography so the port, harbours and docks sounds good! Is the fort worth a visit! We like a dose of history too :D

Certainly will not be visiting the shopping centre! They are all the same where ever you go in the country :rolleyes: :p

6. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It's all worth seeing on a nice day really.
    I used to take shopping centres for granted when I lived in the London area but, since moving to Paignton, I really enjoy Plymouth's centre especially for it's lively atmosphere when it's full of Uni students - something missing in Torbay.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2009
  7. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

After we visited the aqaurium we stayed and watched the fireworks competition, well worth it. Should be on next year for anyone intrested.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2009
  8. camel leopard

camel leopard Well-Known Member

Nice review, i went to paignton zoo last wed it was so busy and hot so wasnt the best day to go missed some of the animals and dint see others. Was a little disapointed with croc swamp especially the python enclosure, the croc swamp was extreamly busy and had to que.

9. FudgeGecko

FudgeGecko New Member

Thanks for the National Marine Aquarium review, Dom. I work there and we are continually trying to improve. Indeed, the top levels (the science and technology zone) is due to be refitted with live exhibits!