Join our zoo community

20,000 photos

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 23 Nov 2008.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Just thought you might be interested to know that we have just passed the 20,000 photo mark in the gallery :D

It took:

766 days to upload our first 5,000 photos

107 days to upload our second 5,000 photos

42 days to upload our third 5,000 photos

79 days to upload our fourth 5,000 photos ... we slowed down a little - but then I also had the site offline for a while and the gallery was also down for some additional time.

Well done everyone.

2. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting stats Sim. Bet your numbers of pics are also affected by Snowleopards travel plans ;]

Membership to zoochat also seems to be growing. Do you have a breakdown of thoose stats? It seems to be 1 a day ??Including thoose who show there apreciation by being ""zoochat supporters". Love stats.

PS maybe supporters could have a profile page? Somewhere to upload a few of there favourite pictures and comments ect. I am aware this is already available in a way. just maybe not all at 1 page.

3. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Well done everyone! What was the 20 000th photo?

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the stats Sim, as I agree with Zooman's comments on the love of statistics! I too would be intrigued to see a list of membership stats, as we have gained a tremendous number of new members in the past 6 months. I think that I uploaded the bulk of my 5,000 photos in the period between 10,000 and 15,000 photos...but lately there have been loads of truly excellent photos added to this site. Is there enough memory space for thousands and thousands more?

5. Simon Hampel

According to my calculations, it was this one from Toddy:

[​IMG]

6. Simon Hampel

Yes, we can theoretically keep adding as many photos as we like ... the only limitation is how much the extra storage space and traffic costs, but if I get enough donations and can make some money from a bit of advertising, then it should pretty much cover those costs.

7. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Awesome Milestone!! Go Toddy, basically won the lottery. Hey don't mean to fantasize but I think I rhymed and didn't even realised! ;)

8. Simon Hampel

Actually it's much faster than that now ... currently averaging at least 3 new registrations per day (> 21 per week).

I've added some charts to the stats page: http://www.zoochat.com/stats/ which are automatically updated each week - one for new members, one for posts and one for photos.

The charts show a 12 week moving average up until the end of the previous week (so this week won't be included in the data until next week).

For example, the new members chart shows the average number of users who have registered each week over each 12 week period.

The number of photos uploaded per week has dropped off a bit after our massive upload effort to get to 10,000 photos ... since then the forum has been offline for a while, and the gallery was also offline while I finished the upgrade and migration - thus we got a bit behind. All the new photos going into the gallery now won't start to show up in the charts until next week, and then we're still only showing the average from the past 12 weeks anyway.

9. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Wow, its amazing the amount of traffic the forum have received in the last year compared to the previous years. It really took off! No wonder you had to upgrade the webiste, Sim.

10. djaeon

djaeon Well-Known Member

Very cool. I really like all the stats too. They're interesting to look at, and they give me a goal to reach;)

11. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

This is an interesting thread, as just over 6 months ago ZooChat founder Sim announced that there were 20,000 photos on this site. Now there are over 45,000 photos, an addition of another 25,000 in the space of half a year. Hugely impressive!:) Sometimes I log on to see that about 500 photos have been uploaded within the space of about 36 hours, and I think that some of the most interesting comments and debates are in the photo section rather than the regular forum.

12. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

couldn't agree more with you. maybe perhaps the photos give everyone a clear pciture of the topic being discussed rather than everyone in a thread somewhat speculating their own version ( depending on the topic of course)