Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo 2010 Zoo Map

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SMR, 10 Apr 2010.

1. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

For those who haven't seen it yet, the 2010 map is on-line as a PDF:

Chester Zoo - Zoo Map

It shows the new homes for the giant anteaters, African painted dogs and the "African Village" in the areas formerly occupied by the Przewalski horses.

Other changes are the new play area behind the Roman Garden, the giant otters, the metamorphosis of Marmot Mania into Mongoose Mania and the downgrading of the Fountain Lawns from a "feature garden" to a generic picnic lawn.

2. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

Thanks SMR,

I know it's just a matter of personal preference but I see they're calling their dogs 'Painted Dogs'. Is this the PC name these days (not wishing to sound too daily mail with that question!!) ? I always used to call them Cape Hunting Dogs which you never hear anymore- but as far as I know London's (and many others) are 'African Wild Dogs'. Edinburgh uses 'painted' too.

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I've always called them African Wild Dogs. 'Painted' Dogs is indeed a PR job designed to encourage local support for their conservation in Africa - presumably calling them 'Wild' or 'Hunting' is seen as setting them up as the enemy! Personally, I think it's one of the more ridiculous names that have been dreamt up for this purpose. It's the same story with the 'Orca' (Killer Whale too scary?) and similar with the 'Andean' Bear and 'African' Penguin, which are presumably intended to drum up some local pride about the species. They'll always be Spectacled and Black-footed to me, though!

4. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Question: down by the giraffes on the map it is labelled giant anteaters until autumn 2010. Does this mean the giant anteaters have already arrived and are currently down by the giraffes?

5. Mr Saxon

Mr Saxon Well-Known Member

yeah Painted Dogs sounds stupid, I've always called them "wild". I'm not even fond of "hunting" though. But I'd use it before I used Painted.
    :p

6. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Although "painted" is certainly a more friendly name, I don't think that's the reasoning behind this, otherwise they'd have to change all the other seemingly aggressive names around the zoo.

African wild dogs are Lycaon pictus, from the Latin (and Greek) meaning "painted", so the variation is correct.

7. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

I have always said African Hunting Dogs, though a lot of zoos are now calling them painted Dogs or African Wild Dogs.

8. Maguari

It's not really for us here, but for farmers in the natural range, who may associate 'Hunting Dogs' with the dogs taking livestock and 'wild dogs' with the often diseased feral dogs that are just a nuisance.

That is where the name comes from, but that doesn't make it a 'correct' English name. I suppose as it's gaining currency, I can't claim it be 'wrong' either, but I'll not be using it any time soon.

9. LeeMac13

LeeMac13 Well-Known Member

Not sure whether they have arrived or not but just looking at the map and by the looks of things there going to be next to the Pudu were the Barbirussa used to be kept until moving in the Autumn. Which may make them hard to see unless your on the boat.

10. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They're Anteaters, in my experience your chances of seeing them on their feet, boat or otherwise, are slim to none in any case:).

Last edited: 10 Apr 2010
  11. ZooMania

ZooMania Well-Known Member

ISIS shows no Anteaters at Chester and there was no sign of any today.

The advert at the side of the map which gave some info on the newer attractions seemed to to give the impression of the Anteaters in a mixed exhibit with the Vicuna & Rhea - great idea if you ask me. Any sort of confirmation/detail on this, have I just read to much into it?

12. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Would the new map mean there are no longer any Anoas?

13. lechweoryx

lechweoryx Well-Known Member

I didn't know the pudu were down by the giraffes.

14. Maguari

The anoa (single for the moment) is still there and last I heard a mate was being sought - for some reason the anoa have never been shown on the map since the current style was brought in.

15. Maguari

Yup, in the left-hand half of the holding pens there. It seems the righthand side will be used as temporary home for the anteaters.

16. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

I grew up calling them Jackass penguins. Nowadays, I use black-footed mostly.

On a similar note, I noticed that in London's Night Zone the Cloudrunners are 'Cloud Rats.'

17. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Worth mentioning for the benefit of those who don't visit Chester regularly, is that there are a huge number of species exhibited that are not listed on the map.