Join our zoo community

ZooChat Challenge UK 2016

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by Shorts, 31 Dec 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm pretty sure I did see the Fijians but overlooked it because of the ones at Manchester but will definitely have a confirmation by Thursday.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I look forward to finding out what it is!

3. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Following a fruitless stop at Chessington on the way home on boxing day, as their reptile area is permanently closed, I stopped off at Bournemouth Oceanarium on another journey to see family:
    203 Green Sea Turtle
    204 Loggerhead Turtle
    205 Home's Hingeback Tortoise

Plus one I missed
    206 Eastern Bearded Dragon at Hamerton

Unless I brave the New Year's Eve traffic for a 300 mile plus round trip, this will be my final total, though I know I have one or two unlabelled or unidentified.

4. pipaluk

Most seen species Sulcata tortoise 18

5. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Found the picture of the Fijian Iguana so..

Cotswold WP

176. Fiji Short-Crested Lizard (Brachylophus bulabula)

I didn't have anything to do today so I decided to go to Chester (Although I'm going at the start of 2017) and saw:

177. Graham's Anole (Anolis graham)
    178. Copper Skink (Eutropis maculria)
    179. Oriental Brown-Sided Skink (Eutropis multifasiata)

Completely done for 2016 with zoos, bring on 2017 (looking forward to next years challenge!)

6. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Barring a last minute upset (which I reckon would be impossible without time travel at this point) congratulations to Zoogiraffe on winning this year's challenge (and I presume sub-challenge for species seen in most zoos, time/reporting will tell).

Whilst there were other strong efforts (Pipaluk's being particularly noteworthy) they were unlikely to match the fanaticism to zoo visits and reptiles demonstrated by Zoogiraffe in 2016. I'll be sorting out the trophies soon.

Thanks to all that have taken part (physically or viewing/commenting on thread) -I hope you've enjoyed it and it's added a little to your 2016 zoo visits.

I'll be posting the 2017 challenge shortly (if only I could be bothered how to attach links within ZooChat I would do so). I hope it's premise proves interesting to you all -it's got some real "tortoise and hare" potential which I hope keep things fun.

7. pipaluk

I would like to add my congratulations to Zoogiraffe on a very convincing win, and thanks to Shorts for setting the challenge.

It has certainly increased my interest in reptiles and I've never before spent so much time staring into a seemingly empty enclosure in the hope of getting a glimpse of a small lizard or returning to it if I failed first time!

8. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Many thanks to Shorts for setting the challenge,I suspected you knew I wasn't going to let any one beat me on this one!Also thanks pipaluk,you could have pushed me alot closer if you had just been prepared to do some of the smaller less well known places!!

Also I have atleast another 1 to add possibly got another today at Paignton,but it wasn't the Quince Monitor which has gone!

9. zoogiraffe

Mine is also Sulcatta but I have seen them in 23 collections of the 66 that I have visited this year.I did however did miss seeing them somehow in another 2!

So shorts seeing as I have by the looks of it,won both competitions can you please pass the trophy for the most seen to whomever is second in that competition.

10. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks Shorts for creating this challenge and the challenge idea in the first place! While I knew I was never going to win (definitely not with the leader visiting most of the reptile-heavy zoos with me), it certainly added a little extra to my short time in the UK. And if I'm not mistaken I have taken second-place, which is pretty incredible!

~Thylo

11. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm quite pleased with my 81 species, many of which were life ticks. I never thought I was going to win, but I did find it enjoyable and informative. Out of the few collections I did Utila Iguana and Red-footed Tortoise were both seen the most, at four times each, with a further six being seen at three different collections.

12. zoogiraffe

Right just a few updates one from a visit to Paignton on the 29th of December,and one from a split that happened and has not been added by me yet despite,me knowing about since my second visit to that place but they weren't held at this place

276) West African Dwarf crocodile type 1
    277) (Uroplatus fimbriatus) at Paignton

So here ends my final total for the challenge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.