Join our zoo community

ZooChat Challenge Europe 2017

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by Vision, 31 Dec 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrcriss

mrcriss Well-Known Member

Looking back through the family tree, Menga was quite prolific! I think she's pretty glad those days are behind her. Her son, Dillon, has sired his fair share of sprogs too!

2. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To anyone who doubts my entry of Hickory being a Geoffroy's, I would suggest looking at the photos of the three spider monkeys on the front cover of the Spring 2013 edition of the Ape Rescue Chronicle. The far left spider monkey is Hickory, and he definitely looks pure A.geoffroyi to me.

Here is the page: Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Ateles taxonomy is complex and ever-changing, but hybridus was formerly a subspecies of belzebuth. I'm not aware of it previously being under geoffroyi, although fusciceps certainly was. Of course there have been times when all the Ateles were considered conspecific, so it may be a moot point.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  4. Chlidonias

looks like geoffroyi through-and-through! I think the third one along in that composite was the one I had found a photo of.

MagpieGoose and ShonenJake13 like this.
  5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No, but could still be a hybrid '?

6. ShonenJake13

See my previous post on this page.

7. pipaluk

Like like like as much as you all want, but looks like Monkeyworlds don't count if Reaseheath don't so get over it! All hybrid or not??! I am going to Monkeyworld soon so I couldn't give a toss whether they count or not!
    Shonenjake will win anyway!! I won't! It's boring me now!

zoogiraffe likes this.
  8. Chlidonias

what are you angry about? The consensus, based on the evidence I've seen here and by looking at photos, seems to be that one male at Monkey World and one female at Reasheath are probably Ateles geoffroyi and the other individuals at both places are hybrids. If that's the case then the individual geoffroyi at both places would count for the challenge, but none of the others would.

MagpieGoose and ShonenJake13 like this.
  9. ShonenJake13

@pipaluk, Hickory is A.geoffroyi. Not only did a keeper tell me he was, but he looks like one AND he's Menga, the pure geoffroyi at Reaseheath,'s son. I would suggest counting him if you see him anyway :)

10. Chlidonias

just further to the above, having one and a half pages just discussing Ateles taxonomy is great! At least, I find it interesting.

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I wouldn't discount the possibility of Vision overtaking Jake, actually! In any case, there is no need to be bored or angry about the prospect of not winning the challenge; the majority of the fun is in taking part, after all :)

Having discussions taking a turn to the taxonomic is always fun :p it's just a pity Vision already stated that Red-fronted Lemur will be considered on a sensu lato level, as the two species concerned within that umbrella are rife for discussion! It was the right decision, though.

12. pipaluk

Could I just point out to everyone that I am not angry as suggested! Just very confused & irritated by the whole ateles question?!

13. pipaluk

I enjoy taking part, I will never win! Even when I did once, I had it stolen from me by a traffic jam which meant someone beat me to Hamerton for a new species!!

bongorob and TeaLovingDave like this.
  14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

That was the Canadian Lynx if memory serves me correctly? :p

15. pipaluk

You are correct! Though I have at least have had the pleasure of seeing them and at least 2 lots of offspring since, so shouldn't be too bitter!

16. Chlidonias

Menga being pure doesn't mean her son would be of course, given that other of her offspring have been hybrids.

That said, do you know of a good photo of Menga? None of the photos I've seen - mostly in the Zoochat gallery - of Reaseheath's spider monkeys look like proper geoffroyi so I don't know which one she is supposed to be. I haven't seen any of the records which it seems you and mrcriss have, but from the photos I'd be inclined to think all three of Reaseheath's animals are hybrids. Certainly none of them look like the male at Monkey World which seems odd if he is supposed to be a pure son of a pure female.

17. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

No it doesn't bother me that much if I have to remove them from my list,what bothered me was what I perceived as your attitude of I work with them now so I am right and you are wrong.But no matter just to show you I don't hold a grudge or care if you think I am arrogant,I have dug out a document that I forgot I had that may or may not prove either us both right and wrong at the same time!!https://scontent.flhr3-2.fna.fbcdn....=afd12c474c10bddc7b6e11d11a511779&oe=5A274D39
    https://scontent.flhr3-2.fna.fbcdn....=8cc3cf0208d90e8c65f27a3bbf0352ce&oe=5A315FEB

Last edited: 16 Aug 2017
  18. mrcriss

mrcriss Well-Known Member

Oh I'm not bothered about any lists or games or challenges....in truth, at the time of posting, I had no idea that's what this thread was about (I have no desire to 'collect' zoo visits). But it's not the first time you've unnecessarily snapped at, belittled, or patronised someone that doesn't visit this site as much as you do. A little less of the elitism, and there might be more than the same few contributors here.

(BTW, the links you posted didn't work, but I'm losing interest now anyway) ;)

Giant Panda likes this.
  19. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Yes I know the link didn't work,I was rectifying the problem as you replied!

20. Chlidonias

your link says that Cotswold had geoffroyi and hybridus, which is what Zootierliste also says (the latter species, as noted earlier in the thread, formerly being considered a subspecies of belzebuth). So even if the monkeys at Reaseheath aren't hybrids - which seems unlikely given their appearance - they still wouldn't be White-bellied Spider Monkeys because you were using an old classification.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.