Join our zoo community

2017: The year ahead

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Charlie Simmomds, 27 Dec 2016.

1. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Greetings all, we are now in the closing stages of 2016 and I think it's been a pretty amazing year for zoos in general, just not so much wildlife, unless you're a Panda that is. So we've talked about this last year, but I want to look ahead and get to know some other people on this great website other than those on the Chester Zoo thread who I've gotten to know! So what are you all looking forward to next year in terms of zoo developments and such and being realistic, what do you really want to happen next year/ think will happen at any zoo you wish to talk about!

2. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The pangolins will most likely soon make there debut at Brookfield zoo, and I am off the charts excited for this.:D:D:D. I have seen only one pangolin ever, at San Diego, sadly he was sleeping, and has since deceased:(:(. So see a active pangolin group (not to mention the largest in the Nation) will surely make up for this :).

3. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Simply having pangolins in an AZA zoo is enough to make me excited for the new year.

pachyderm pro likes this.
  4. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wish BIAZA Zoo's would get some now I mean it seems like a long shot at the minute but with their success with other asian and african species, you never know!

5. pachyderm pro

4 other AZA zoos in America have them as well. Do I sense a potential U.S breeding program :D.

6. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Which AZA zoos have them? The only pangolins I was aware of with the death of San Diego's are those at Ueno, Night Safari in Singapore and Leipzig.

7. pachyderm pro

8. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If you can't share all of the info, don't share half of it. That's all I have to say.

Either way, next year should be a very exciting one for some highlights headed to Europe. Bilbies and Snub-nosed monkeys in Prague, Snub-nosed monkeys in Pairi Daiza, Tasmanian devils in Planckendael, and hopefully many others!

9. pachyderm pro

Indeed. Nice spread of rare species for both America and Europe.