Join our zoo community

22/23 Football Season

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by OstrichMania, 19 Sep 2022.

1. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Lots of them are, lots of them are great and lots are meh !

what makes you comment?

2. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Talking of sore losers, how about Uruguay for poor sportsmanship - embarrassing how they conducted themselves towards the refereeing team (who were brilliant throughout mind, given some of the diving antics produced) at the end of the match. Congrats to South Korea as well, great showing against a pretty tepid Portugal side...

3. Lota lota

Lota lota Well-Known Member

Any predictions?

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

England will beat France (3-1) in the quarterfinals and play Portugal in the semifinals, where England will win 2-1.

5. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Zoofan15: Keep on dreaming. Mbappé will kick out Southgate's Team and France will win 3:1. I say that although I like the style how England is playing since the last 4-6 years. And it is also clear that Brazil will become World Cup Champion. They can only beat theirselves (by intern quarrels).
    Overall, this is probably the worst World Cup for me: First the German team was too stupid to beat Japan, then Switzerland was showing one of its worst performances against Portugal.
    Thats all because of the wrong location. Who the hell gave this tournement to Qatar...?:mad:;)

6. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

it'll be a Brazil vs France final, we all knew it.

Shame that no AFC team get to quarters. Japan came very close.

7. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Japan deserved to beat Croatia, but if you take penalties like the under 10's you aint going through. Away from England I was really rooting for Japan.

8. Lota lota

Is it still as clear?:p

9. Lota lota

Portugal will beat morocco by 3-1 and france will beat england by 2-1.Croatia and argentina will go to penalties where there is a 50/50 chance for both teams.

10. amur leopard

This aged well...

11. Kalaw

Kalaw Well-Known Member

Well, I guess we won't be seeing an Argentina vs Portugal finale, unfortunately. Congratulations to Morocco for becoming the first African nation to make it to a world cup semi-final; they absolutely deserved it.

England vs France should be interesting. France is obviously the favourite, but both have very strong and capable teams. I predict 2-1 to France after extra time, but anything could happen!

12. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, I must confess that my prediction was a complete disaster. However: Who's sitting in a glashouse shout not throw with stones (German saying) - check your prediction to Portugal vs. Morocco...:p;)

Guess we can all agree that this is a World Championship of surprises.

13. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So was mine - though it was hard for England to win when France had the ref as an extra player.

Seriously though, it just wasn’t England’s time and I will therefore congratulate @Kalaw on correctly predicting the final score.

Kalaw, Rajang-GOAT and zoomaniac like this.
  14. Lota lota

I think we might get a repeat of the 2018 final,and Morocco wil get the bronze.

15. amur leopard

Don't really like this blame-shifting - I agree that the ref made some decisions that weren't necessarily correct, but England had 100 minutes to score a goal from open play and didn't - whether the ref did or didn't give a couple of free kicks isn't particularly relevant (and yes, the penalty shout from the first half was foul, but outside the box, not inside it). Had these refereeing decisions gone England's way, would it have changed the course of the match? I don't think so, France were just more clinical with their chances. England played well but when you don't make use of your squad depth against a France squad depleted with injuries and take off by far your best player that match (Saka), what do you expect?

16. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Exactly @amur leopard
    Don't trust the referee to win a game for you, go out and beat your opponents yourselves. Not only was there all that time for england to score from open play, but they had that other penalty and the last minute free kick that Rashford might have scored on another day.

With regards to my comment on england fans after drawing (not losing) against the USA, it was after watching footage of miserable fans already calling for Southgate to go and the performance being poop. I really don't know what gives these people the right to expect perfection.

Pootle and amur leopard like this.
  17. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You were exactly right about France but wrong about Portugal, Lota lota

18. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

That's football fans for you world wide for clubs and countries, some are daft some not so. Some fans understand the game, some don't as much, some say daft knee jerk reactions, others keep quiet.....

Basically that's people for you!

19. Lota lota

What a match,probably the best one I've ever seen.
    Nice to see Messi get to win in his last world cup!

20. amur leopard

Messi the greatest ever, Mbappe the best in the world currently - absolutely fantastic match and happy for Messi despite Martinez's antics towards the end...