Join our zoo community

3 pumas killed; were feeding on human

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Arizona Docent, 5 Jan 2020.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Arizona Game & Fish authorities killed three mountain lions near a trail in Pima Canyon, a hiking trail on the north edge of Tucson that goes into the Santa Catalina Mountains. (I have been on this trail myself, though it has been many years). The pumas were feeding on a human being, however Game & Fish officials believe the person was already dead and the pumas did not kill him or her. Though there have been (very rarely) people killed by pumas in other states, to the best of my knowledge no one has ever been killed by a puma in Arizona.
    3 mountain lions killed after feeding on human remains near Tucson

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Wow , it reminds me of the true story detailed in this brilliant book I read not so long ago , "The Beast in the Garden : The True Story of a Predators Deadly Return to Suburban America" by David Baron (https://www.amazon.com/Beast-Garden-Predators-Suburban-America/dp/0393326349).

I seem to remember that in the case mentioned in the book there was at least in the early stages few initial suspicions that the puma in question had killed a human either and it was believed to be more likely that the individual had died of cardiac arrest whilst jogging.