Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo £30 Million pound "Islands" to transform Chester

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 7 Apr 2011.

1. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Sounds good any idea where it will be on the zoo map? O was thinking they will use the lemur islands and other islands plus the lunch lawn outside RORA and SOTJ

2. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Do you think they mean South west of the zoo as you look at it on the map, because then it would include RoRa in that area, and theres already aot of water around that area

3. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

We chatted briefly about this with Mark Pilgrim on Tuesday. By all accounts it'll be located roughly down the (blocked off) path that used to lead to the wallabies, reindeer and Père David's deer, on the land between what is now the scimitar-horned oryx and the A41. So nowhere near the Rainbow Lawn, and it'll be much, much bigger than that space anyway.

Somewhere about here: Chester Zoo - Google Maps although bear in mind that no detailed plans have yet been submitted.

4. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I stand corrected on what I posted a moment ago - so it'll just be the Sumatran orangs over on that side? Seems odd to move everything when they have the species in place on the other side and in good/brilliant exhibits (Islands in Danger and Realm of the Red Ape could be largely untouched) :s

5. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Will be an interesting move, but guess there is plenty of room over in that area.

6. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hopefully that will leave enough space for the Hippo inclosure somewhere in the zoo, that was one of my highlights of the plans submitted for the biodome

7. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Quite a change from the Natural Vision plans submitted with the HoA plans then. I look forward to hearing more!

Intrigued by the orang situation - as the Sumatrans only are mentioned for Islands, it would imply that the Borneans are staying in RotRA. Two orang houses at opposite ends of the zoo would be interesting.

8. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

I'm basing that location on the press release and our chat with Mark. What exactly they'll develop will probably have to wait until we see some actual plans.

The area was encompassed by the Natural Vision application though, it's the area with the hashed grey line is located on the following document:

http://www.ukplanning.com/chester/d...LUME6&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1

There is already a service entrance to the zoo in that area, you can see it on the Google Maps aerial view.

One thing we do know from the planning meeting was that only phase one was submitted (and passed) as a detailed application, the remainder was just an outline so the actual structure of the exhibits could change. If they stay within the boundaries set out by the hybrid application (height, ground use, satisfying very special circumstances etc) it shouldn't be a problem getting the sub-plans passed though.

9. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I'd just always assumed that the land in that area was ear-marked for African savannah, tying in with the Tsavo/dog exhibits. I'm always pleased to be surprised. :)

10. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The tapir looks like a panda when you just glance at a small version of the picture!