Join our zoo community

A blue whale in captivty

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Norwegian moose, 21 Mar 2013.

1. Norwegian moose

Norwegian moose Well-Known Member

Do any one actually think it is possible to keep a blue whale, or any other bailine whale in captivity ? I think it is possible, but as they are extremly big, they will need a tank, that is at least 1 kilometer in every direction. They also need extremly much food, with many tons of krill every day. Anyway, the idea of having the worlds largest animal in a human controled setting have always intrigued me, and i think maybe one time in the future it will happen. Discuss your opinions belowe.

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No, I can't see it ever happening. How would you supply enough food? How would you construct a tank capable of holding several million tons of water? How would you filter the water?

I think it will never be.

3. Integrity

Integrity Well-Known Member

Blue Whale

The very idea makes me sad, no way never happen, if was planned I would try and stop it.

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I also donĀ“t see the neccecarity of trying it ! The enormous amounts of money which it will take to build the enclosure and the enormous daily costs to keep the animal(s) alive can be used much better in protecting the species in it's natural habitat.

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I can maybe- and it's a big maybe- see a young and juvenile bailine whale being kept temporarily in captivity but never for good. We've already shown it possible with two rescued Grey Whales but that's about it, probably never going to happen with a Blue Whale of any size. Even if a tank of that size was to be acheived all it would take is one dump into the glass by one of these behemoths and the whole thing would collapse. There's no ethics behind the project and simply should not be done. Besides the problems already stated, there's just no way a tank would ever be big enough for these animals to really move, dive, and be happy and how would they breed? Never going to happen, sorry.

~Thylo:cool:

6. chrisbarela

chrisbarela Well-Known Member

No no no... you are all going about this all wrong. You just need to breed them down to a manageable size. Like what we did with wolves... I imagine at some point in history a caveperson was thinking how great it would be to carry around a wolf in their cavepurse and the other cavepeople are like, "Tuk-Tuk crazy talk putting wolf in cavepurse!"... and yet...

7. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

Seaworld has sucessfully kept and released two Grey Whales (Gigi II and J.J) along with a Brydes Whale.

They greys where at san diego and the brydes at orlando.

8. HyakkoShachi

HyakkoShachi Well-Known Member

While nothing is impossible, the cost of properly keeping anything larger than a full grown grey whale for its whole life would be absolutely insane. No man is rich enough and crazy enough to attempt it.

Of course when we think of any baleen whale we think of something incredibly large but minke whales and pygmy right whales aren't that big as far as whales go. They wouldn't be that much more difficult than keeping a whale shark.