Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo Future Developments 2014

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 29 Dec 2013.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I thought I would set up the new threads for 2014. Wonder what this year will bring?

2. cypher

cypher Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Let's hope it's all good.

3. TZFan

Well of course it should be good stuff. The Eurasian Wilds will open... hopefully the wait is worth it... I have my reservations. The giraffes new exhibit will be worked on and maybe finished with the girls all moving. In theory work is supposed to begin on the orangs outdoor exhibit. And the controversy over the elephants is gone so the keepers wont keep getting slammed. New year full of possiblities. So nice to think about.

4. TZFan

5. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

What species are confirmed for eurasian wilds?

6. TZFan

Przewalskis Horses, Domestic Yaks, Dromdary Camels, Bactrian Camels, Stellars Sea Eagles, Snow Leopards, Red Pandas, Dholes, Barbary Apes, mouflon, and tur and probably a couple more Im forgetting. Well and technically the giant pandas and Chinese Giant Salamander already on exhibit.

Only the Sea eagles are new to the zoo in 2014. We also have a young pair of Eurasian Eagle owls but im not sure where they are going on display or have gone on display.

7. cypher

When did they get Sea Eagles? Any idea how many they got?

8. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

Don't forget pheasants which may have an aviary if the memorial gardens actually get completed.

In the new zoo guidebook the only species confirmed for the exhibit are bactrian camel, Przewalski's horse, yak, red panda, snow leopard, steller's sea eagle, and eurasian eagle owl. Also on the map are three unnamed sheep/goat species. The one in the drive through area is mouflon and I think the other two are chamois (until they pass away) and west caucasian tur.

9. TZFan

Ya my guess on the tur and mouflon was based on the fact they had them before. I thought the chamois had died out already... guess I was wrong. Dont count on the tur or Mouflon much longer either because both species are on phase outs for the AZA I believe.

Im dying to see the Sea Eagles.

10. TZFan

11. arcticwolf

I could be wrong and the chamois have passed away. I haven't seen or heard about them since Eurasia closed. It would be sad for the zoo to lose such as wonderful species. They are/were the last ones in a North American zoo.

The tur won't be leaving anytime soon. The zoo still has a fairly large group of them and they breed regularly. They're one of my favourite species at the zoo so I hope the zoo decides not to phase them out.

I don't know how many mouflon are at the zoo, but I'm guessing they'll be there for a while unless they don't mix well with the other drive through species.

I can't wait to see the sea eagles too!

12. TZFan

Life changing for the orangs. According the to the keepers twitter account the zoo is working on shifting the groups. Ramai, Sekali and Jingga are together. Puppe will be alone more often. And Budi and Kembali are being paired behind the scenes. Considering their age Im not really surprised the zoo is moving towards seperating the boys from their moms. Its probably in preparation for the two of them to move together to a new zoo. It'll probably take awhile but I wouldnt be surprised if they were gone by or sometime in 2015. It would free up probably some much needed space during any renos. I doubt a new breeding male will arrive until the outdoor exhibit is done or nearing completion but eventually he will arrive and breed with Ramai and Sekali but later Jingga. Puppe is now too old and needs to be replaced and why not used a female already in the group. It will be sad to see the boys go in time but their departure means big things for both them and the girls. Just feel bad for Puppe being all alone again.

https://twitter.com/tozookeepers

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If the tur are on phase out in North America - which is a shame really as they are quite endangered - and if M.Z. Toronto Zoo play along with the music … in the interest of population management would it not be better to have them - given the bloodlines are valuable - that they are exported over to European shores (a.o. Tallinn are major holders of tur species and currently the species is on a course for increase in zoo spaces within EAZA zoos).

14. TZFan

I guarentee the tur are on phase out in North America. I just cant say if Toronto is playing along with the plan. Sometimes the zoo has a mind of its own, hence our white lions and the plan to breed them in the face of AZA guidelines and the fact we are breeding our hyenas who shouldnt be because they are overrepresented and closely related.

The fact that the tur are still being bred might mean the zoo is exporting the offspring to Europe. The zoo might have decided their group was still large enough and young enough to keep breeding and just send the babies overseas. Perhaps when herd thins enough they will be sent away. You are right though if the tur are to be phased out the herd should be moved to Europe where their genetics can be of use.

15. TZFan

16. TZFan

17. cypher

That's pretty cool. I never knew about this at all.

18. arcticwolf

According to the zoo's newsprints which I got in the mail, the Eurasia Wilds will open in May and construction on a new Wildlife Health Centre will start in the fall.

19. GorillaFan15

GorillaFan15 Well-Known Member

Aren't there plans to include public viewing of animal surgeries in the new health center? I hope they're still being implemented, I find behind-the-scenes operations of the zoo really interesting.

20. arcticwolf

I didn't read anything about the public being able to look inside the health centre. There weren't any details given other than when construction would start. It would be really cool if that happened though.