Join our zoo community

Sydney Zoo $36 million zoo with roaming African animals planned for Blacktown

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Astrobird, 7 Sep 2015.

1. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

I was getting mixed up about what you're allowed to do with trademarks. WildLife Sydney seems to have the domain name sydneyzoo.com.au (again, Taronga should really have snatched that up). I understand the new zoo wants to use the name, but really, it might just confuse more people. They should pick something new.

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is more of a promotion/marketing tool than anything. For a tourist wanting to visit a zoo in Sydney (presumably Taronga with the superb views), they will simply type in Google "Sydney zoo" and one of the first pages that will pop up will be that of the new Blacktown zoo. By calling it anything else (e.g. Western Sydney zoo), it might be perceived by tourists as being too far out form the CBD (where I assume most tourists stay), so in their eyes calling it simply Sydney zoo might attract naive visitors (and trust me it will happen: at Featherdale Wildlife Park I heard a tourist complain that they visited the wrong place as they were looking after a "kangaroo sanctuary" somewhere nearby, whatever that might be!).

3. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Or visit another park and then write a negative review about you because they can't remember exactly which park they visited!

4. Jabiru96

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I just get a "subscribe to The Daily Telegraph" page from that link, no story.

EDIT: actually now I just get a "Page Not Found" page.

7. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This link works for me (and I'm certainly not a Daily Telegraph subscriber!):

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

Is it just me, or does "Sydney Zoo's John Burgess" look remarkably similar to an aging Sean Connery?

EDIT: Now I've posted it, it doesn't work. Type into Google: "Claws out in Sydney's zoo battle".

8. Chlidonias

thanks, I got the link to work through "Claws out in Sydney's zoo battle".

When was the last time you saw Sean Connery? - Burgess looks like a younger version of him!

9. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I try to avoid anything post-Bond. One day I might recover from the horror of his costume in Zardoz.

10. Jabiru96

Here is the article for people that are wondering:

11. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Three kilometres away? That's a death sentence for Featherdale. I'd be pissed too.

Hix

12. Jabiru96

New zoo to teach old ways | Blacktown Sun

13. ZooBoyNZ

ZooBoyNZ Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe the future Sydney Zoo's website Sydney Zoo - Bungarribee Super Park, Western Sydney has been updated with a new gallery of concept renderings of what exhibits and the zoo as a whole could look like. There is also some more info about the future zoo on the about page of the site. :p

14. Chlidonias

yeah that's basically a brand new site. Says they are planning on opening in 2017...

Lots of graphics on there for what the entire zoo will look like. I like how happy the baby gorilla and the chimps are - the chimps look like they're doing the Gangnam and the baby gorilla is just rockin' out. The siamang are all walking round with their arms straight up in the air, coz they don't care. The pride of tigers don't seem to be paying any attention to the nearby herd of Cape buffalo...

Anyway, I like how in the walk-through Australian enclosure the rock wallabies' hills are provided over the tops of houses (presumably nocturnal and aquarium) - clever use of space. Something really obvious from the pictures, and the video, is how almost everything at the zoo is purely ABC material - elephants, lions, tigers, apes, monkeys, zebras, etc. There may be an aviary in the Australian section, and they are supposed to have an aquarium, but otherwise the entire zoo is populated by animals chosen purely as typical zoo animals and which can be housed in "non-cages". I think it may be very popular when it opens.

15. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Apparently it is 'Australia's Most Advanced Zoo', I wonder by what measure they make that judgement. Judging by the images provided, most of the enclosures are plain lawns, and for apes in particular it doesn't look great to be honest. I'm looking forward to seeing what actually gets created.

16. Chlidonias

I was just musing over the species line-up that the Sydney Zoo has proposed, with regards to whether they could actually stock their zoo from within Australia. The named animals are from their video, and I left out the Australian section for obvious reasons. Don't take the following as definites of course, it is just my thoughts.

"African Grasslands"
    *Lions - lots of these
    *Zebra - lots of these
    *Rhino - I think they may be waiting quite a while for these!
    *Hippo - they have already decided against these (replaced with Water Buffalo)
    *Giraffe - lots of these
    *Ostrich - lots of these
    *Leopard - these would need an import obviously (none at all in Australia)
    *Antelope - plenty of these about, with several species
    *Cheetahs - they could get some from within Australia, but whether they will be able to is another matter
    *Meerkats - these shouldn't be a problem...
    *African Wild Dogs - I doubt they would be able to get these for opening, but as a future animal they shouldn't be difficult; there are a lot in Australia and they breed well.

"South East Asian Tropical"
    *Sun Bears - I doubt they'd be getting these from within Australia, the only way would be if one of the exisiting holders wanted to off-load an old animal.
    *Tigers - tigers seem like an animal which shouldn't be difficult to get in Australia, but I dare say they wouldn't be getting any Sumatrans and there aren't many hybrids left outside Dreamworld and Australia Zoo; I reckon they would need to import these as well
    *Orangutans - maybe they could take the hybrids, otherwise no
    *Asiatic Elephants - I really think would need an import

"African Highlands"
    *Chimpanzee - probably no
    *Lowland Gorilla - no
    *Arboreal Primates - the only African monkeys left in Australia outside baboons and Mandrills are a few pensioner De Brazza's Monkeys, one troop of Vervets, and scattered Black and White Colobus; so, no
    *Hamadryas Baboon - shouldn't be difficult to get a few animals

Other animals:
    *Water Buffalo (replacements for Hippo) - easy
    *Siamang (on the designs) - probably no

Jake likes this.
  17. Chlidonias

the graphics are in two lots (all on that same page). The first lot are basic computer cut-out shapes so everything is depicted as flat and green. The second lot are more realised. Compare the Australian walk-through, for example, between the basic cut-out look and the realistic look. Same enclosure, completely different appearance.

I think what they mean by "most advanced" is in a similar vein to where they say it won't be like "traditional zoos". They are going the route of "no cages" equals "better than a normal zoo".

18. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

19. Chlidonias

I don't think those need to be worried about; like the Sphensicus penguin photo in that same document, or the Cape Buffalo herd depicted in one of their exhibit designs on the website, they are the faults of the artists.

But I do still wonder as you about how much research they did beforehand (or even still?), because of their seeming lack of awareness of how or from where they are getting their proposed animals. The hippos on their list was a prime example. It's especially weird because the guy behind it is from the zoo world (admittedly not "proper" zoos but still he should know what's what).

I had some more thought on this - I expect they will just go with capuchins.

20. ZooBoyNZ

ZooBoyNZ Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am still most concerned about how they are going to be able to open an entire zoo from scratch on a $36 million budget. :eek: (I'm aware this has been discussed thoroughly earlier in this thread) And such a small time frame as well... does anyone know if any major construction work has started yet? I also noticed Chlidonias that the artist has depicted a herd of Cape buffalo on one of the designs :rolleyes: which to me is slightly concerning, because although I think it's great that people want to create another world-class zoo in Sydney and they have good intentions, I am worried about the lack of animal knowledge; for starters which species actually have available stock in Australasia and which species will have to be imported from overseas... and then there is the whole timeframe and budget constraints... :eek: