Join our zoo community

Sydney Zoo $36 million zoo with roaming African animals planned for Blacktown

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Astrobird, 7 Sep 2015.

1. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Do you know his name? I couldn't see it on the website.

:p

Hix

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

John Burgess, of the Sydney Aquarium and Sydney Wildlife World (or whatever its name was at that time). And his son Jake Burgess.

3. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

The plans have been approved (note how Featherdale believe they could lose 84% of visitors): http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...k/news-story/34f8e058121f4f84efdf67aaf3b99f8c

4. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

ones exotic based and ones native animals. Is it really going to be an issue? Taronga is going to be affected by this surely (although im excited about this place opening i guess)

5. Jabiru96

Like I said on page one;

"The concern IMO would be how would this impact Taronga Western Plains Zoo out at Dubbo, since if this plan eventuates there will no longer be a single "cage-free" zoo in the state. Instead of families or even tourists driving all the way out to Dubbo, they can see pretty much the exact same species around 50 minutes from the airport."

Taronga could still capitalise on their view as well as house different species (e.g. lemurs, gorillas, etc.) in the foreseeable future (don't forget that Taronga is beginning a large-scale remodelling of practically the whole zoo, starting with the new Sumatran tiger exhibit opening next year).

I guess where Featherdale comes into it is that the new zoo will have the "same" species plus more (i.e. exotics). Featherdale is great for the sheer number of species (particularly bird: I believe they have the largest captive collection of Australian native birds in the world?), but to the average zoo-goer (local or tourist), all they really want to see is a koala, wombat or echidna. The new zoo (as far as I am aware) will pretty much have all these upon opening. Not to mention (as said in the article), that the new zoo will also have an Aboriginal cultural experience that Featherdale currently lacks which would be an additional appealing feature for tourists.

EDIT: I should mention that a second airport to service Sydney will be built around 30 minutes from the new zoo (set to open in around 10 years time), making it even closer for tourists coming from that direction.

6. Hix

Some years ago Taronga was aggressively marketing towards Western Sydney, promoting the Zoorail Pass which including rail ferry and Zoo entry in one combined ticket that could be purchased at any railway station. This new zoo will have a significant impact upon that sector of the market as it will be a quicker journey (and probably cheaper) than travelling all the way to Taronga.

What Taronga and Featherdale will still be able to market are the natives - the international tourists are interested in the kangaroos and koalas - as the open-range zoo will have the same exotics as every other zoo in North America or Europe. So people flying into the new airport in Western Sydney will probably be more interested in visiting Featherdale, if they want to visit zoo at all.

Dubbo was chosen as the site for WPZ as it's at the intersection of the Newell Highway and Mitchell Hwy, and is a convenient overnight stop for families travelling on those roads to holiday destinations. The new Blacktown Zoo may have an impact on WPZ, but I don't think it will be too significant.

Hix

7. Jabiru96

I agree that Taronga could easily differentiate itself from the new zoo, but could Featherdale really do so successfully? I guess Featherdale could still identify as the "exclusively native" zoo in the area, but with a brand new place with all the major 'ABC' Aussie animals plus lions, giraffes, etc. a mere 3km away, to me it would be a real challenge. Only time will tell......

8. Hix

Sorry, I didn't make that clear (although I think I said it in an earlier post) - I believe this will have a significant impact upon Featherdale. They won't lose all their business, because the international tourists who want to see Australia's unique creatures will still visit, and Featherdale has an arrangement with at least one Japanese tour company - probably several judging by the number of signs and notices in Japanese I saw last time I visited.

However, if the new zoo starts promoting the fact they have koalas, kangaroos wombats and platypus then that will be bad for Featherdale.

Hix

9. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Interesting fact: Western Plains Zoo was originally planned for the western suburbs of Sydney but moved far further west for political reasons.

10. Jabiru96

I seem to remember somewhere around Windsor being the original plan? Do you know what these "political reasons" were (I have always been interested as to why they chose to move all the way out to Dubbo)?

11. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Sorry don't know the originally planned location, however as I understand it, the local MP for Dubbo saw an opportunity, had the power, and grabbed it. The argument was that it would help tourism in a regional area, plus provide employment. All true, of course, as far as that goes. It had nothing to do with the zoo's priorities.

Jarkari likes this.
  12. Jabiru96

"Public meeting told new Sydney Zoo threatens commercial viability of Featherdale Wildlife Park":

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...k/news-story/a968b6d042b901b34c22c43698cf44dc

13. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

[

Dubbo was chosen as the site for WPZ as it's at the intersection of the Newell Highway and Mitchell Hwy, and is a convenient overnight stop for families travelling on those roads to holiday destinations. The new Blacktown Zoo may have an impact on WPZ, but I don't think it will be too significant.

Hix[/QUOTE]

Hi Hix,
    I am fairly certain that WPZ Dubbo as a location was a political decision rather than a geographical one. Some politician receiving a thank you for a very big political favour!

14. Hix

That might have been a factor, but the location was what made it viable.

Hix

15. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Cage-free zoo set to open in Sydney's west

Lions, elephants and marsupials will roam free at a new zoo at Blacktown in Sydney's west after it was approved by the New South Wales Planning Assessment Commission.

The Bungarribee zoo won't cage its animals with the aim to attract Sydney families to the zoo which will have large open spaces.

Sydney Zoo will build the $36 million park featuring over 30 exhibits including elevated board walks and glassed observation areas.​

18. Chlidonias

I notice that article contains pictures of the bull shark aquarium and gorilla exhibit.

I still wonder, as everyone has all through the thread, about how this zoo will look with only $36 million to build it. Especially because they are saying it will be completed in 2018. Even if it's the very end of 2018 that's still only one year.

19. Chlidonias

This article has a bit more information from the other two above: Western Sydney Zoo gets the go-ahead

The Planning Assessment Commission has approved the multi-million dollar Sydney Zoo on a 16.5 hectare site overlooking Bungarribee Park.

Work is due to start later this year, with the zoo due to be open in time for the 2018 summer holidays.

Unlike the nearby Featherdale Wildlife Park, Sydney Zoo will focus on foreign and exotic animals with 30 large animal exhibits.

Size comparison

1. Western Plains Zoo (Dubbo) – 300 hectares
    2. Australia Zoo – 40 hectares
    3. Taronga Zoo – 28 hectares
    4. Melbourne Zoo – 22 acres [sic - it is meant to also say hectares]
    5. Sydney Zoo – 16.5 hectares
    6. Featherdale Wildlife Park – 3 hectares
    Minister for Western Sydney, Stuart Ayres, said Sydney Zoo “will offer an unparalleled tourism experience”.

“Sydney Zoo will set a new standard in visitor experience and have people coming back time and time again,” Mr Ayres said.

“Set to be Australia’s most technologically advanced and innovative zoo in Australia, it will also feature an incredible integrated Aboriginal and natural heritage program, focusing on the local Darug people of western Sydney.”

“It is the natural home for a world-class exotic and native animal conservation and exhibition facility, and important education resources like the Educational Amphitheatre, Aquarium, Insectarium and Reptile and Nocturnal House.”

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As my next door countrymen will say: einfach Tee trinken.
    Only: Seeing is Believing.

CGSwans likes this.