Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Tim Brown, 2 Jan 2016.

1. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I really am confused by IanR and Kifaru above;possibly better not to lump their opinions about African Wild Dogs at R.P. together as they can be construed differently..but Im getting the distinct impression that they think the species is not suited to an urban zoo environment.But then,in the next breath,it will be complaints about the diminution of London`s collection.If we really believe that it is the content of an an enclosure and not the size,then what is the problem?(And im not condoning overcrowding obviously).By comparison with wild habitats even Whipsnades vast meadows are tiny..and these animals are known"edgers" anyway -give them a field the size of Westmorland and odds on there will soon be a well-worn muddy path around the edge of it all.Perhaps its time for a new website for folks who like zoos but somehow are not really at ease with them until all enclosures stretch out over the distant horizon that is!Lets call it "clawstrophobic.com"!

2. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Thankfully zoos have made good progress and continues to develop consistently since these times with tiny cages, so that even African wild dogs can enjoy the luxury of enclosure sizes that give them space enough for their movement.Yes, the problem with such a "new-fangled" enclosures is of course the annoying reduction in the number of species. Previously, when there was still the old mesh cages, the cake piece enclosures and the tiny cake plate platforms for elephants ,the zoos were real zoos-but today? It's deplorable that there are zoos that keep caninds in installations of 2 or more hectares and noone can see the animals.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dear Tim, I am hardly known as a supporter of the enclosure size theme nor a complaint of further reduction in species. I love zoos they where each and every one of them is different.

To make it clearer: I was thinking more of that the whole Whipsnade setting with several other African savannah species would better suit the wild dogs than the ZSL Regent's Park site. This versus what would more coalesce with the ZSL animal collection in that part of the zoo.

BTW: I personally know of a few wild dog enclosures far smaller in size than the London site …, and in these wild dogs breed and raise their offspring happily.

4. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I was at the zoo this morning quickly - does anyone have any idea of what the old hippo winter pool in the Casson is being used for? The floor was lined with fresh straw this morning, seemingly in preparation for new arrivals?

5. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Is that this enclosure?
    http://www.zoochat.com/43/zoo-world-04-10-2015-a-426681/

6. Okapi kid

Okapi kid New Member

How many okapi do London zoo have. Are they breeding?

7. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Zoo has 2 Okapis

Mbuti- Male b.2004

Oni-Female b.2013

8. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

That's the one. Originally installed as a bath for elephants but reputedly proved too small for adults. I suspect that the untrained animals installed there in the 1960s, especially Pole Pole would have been lethal past adolescence that close.

9. giant_anteater

giant_anteater Well-Known Member

I'm not all that familiar with London Zoo, so I don't know the enclosure you're talking about, but could it be for the Goodfellow's tree-kangaroo that they're supposed to be getting/have gotten?
    Or are they already on display elsewhere?

10. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

it may be, but the tree-kangaroo hasn't materialised yet, and this enclosure has been in refurbishment since at least October

11. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Frankfurt has again down to 1-1 after receiving a new female from Rostock last year.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Care to elaborate?

You mean they have a pair again or there has been a swap?
    (with an individual leaving for another zoo ...)

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the one at London is the female from Frankfurt, and Frankfurt got a replacement female from Rostock.

14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Except that London has not yet received any tree kangaroo, so it is equally probable the Frankfurt female has either died or moved to a different and non-London collection.

15. Chlidonias

my information was that the tree kangaroo arrived at London during December I think it was (a few weeks ago anyway).

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Interesting :) plans must have changed then.

17. tennisfan

tennisfan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe the enclosure in the Casson referred to is the second Tapir enclosure that was in use when the male Tapir was separated from the female before the young Tapir was moved on.
    The male Tapir was back in that enclosure yesterday.

18. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

That would make sense! I had visions of anoas returning to the collection but perhaps not...

19. Chlidonias

I re-checked with my sources and the tree kangaroo is at London. It is of course not on show yet.

20. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think the tree kangaroo is in quarantine at the moment.