Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dylan, 6 Jan 2018.

1. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So fter a visit yesterday I noticed some stuff of interest :
    - Geoldi's marmoset numberso have been reduced to one exhibit in Enchanted forest (+ the ones near the saki)
    - Cotton-top tamarin have moved next-door
    - Crowned lemur have moved into the old Cotton-top tamarin exhibit from the monkey house (0.2)
    - In the off-show next to the lions - which held Socorro doveso and before that margay - now hold at least one yellow-brested capuchin
    - The L'hoest's monkey are loving their new exhibition where the macaque used to be. Saw three out despite the cold and rain.
    - Bali starlings have moved out of Brilliant Birds. Couldn't find a keeper to ask if they had left.
    - Monkey house is feeling empty. 7 of the thirteen indoor enclosures were empty. Hopefully it gets renovated or knocked down.

Kifaru Bwana and kiang like this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The demolition of the Monkey House is a longish overdue one. If it happens, I will be keen to know where and how Edinurgh's primate collection will end up!

Do yhey have any plans lying about somewhere?

When will rhino Bertus leave?

3. Dylan

Because the pandas are next door, I doubt anything will happen until they leave. I hope the capuchins and drills stay. Big fans of both. There will be plans somewhere. I want it to turn into either a bird house or a themed building (maybe temperate asia), but we will probably get a new education garden

The rhino is planned to leave this month I believe (possibly already left, I didn't go to his enclosure on Thursday)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I should really have tried harder to get up there again before he left / leaves. It will be the end of an era once both of the boys have moved on!

5. Dylan

I've been assured that they will get more

pipaluk likes this.
  6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I always liked Edinburgh's Monkey house, but it is rather outdated I'll admit. As with the disappearance of previous 'postage stamp' Monkey houses in other Zoos, I assume it will inevitably result in a decrease in the number of species kept, which seems to happening already.

7. agnmeln

I thought it hadn’t yet been confirmed with regards to which species of rhino will replace Samir and Bertus?

8. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I was on the understanding that Edinburgh would be a bachelor holding collection for Greater one horned rhinos. Things may have changed but sure I read that two younger males would join once the currently males moved on.

Kifaru Bwana and pipaluk like this.
  9. agnmeln

I was always under this impression too, however I read somewhere on here within the last week that there had been talk that it could possibly be another rhino species this time around.

A couple of years back there was actually some talk about Edinburgh debating whether to invest in the enclosure following the departure of both of the boys in order to develop it to be able to accommodate a male and a female - but obviously that hasn’t materialised this time around.

10. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Info for anyone planning to visit in the coming week:

"If you’re planning to visit the Zoo between Monday 8 January and Friday 12 January please be aware that Scottish Energy Networks will be carrying out essential maintenance nearby. This will mean the exit to our carpark will be closed and there will be no right turns when entering the car park from the Edinburgh city centre side during this period.

We apologise for any inconvenience cause"

11. Quincey

Confirmation Bali Starlings are still in Brilliant Birds:

"#DYK that the Bali starling is one of the rarest birds in the world? These birds are found in the tropical forests of Bali, Indonesia, and have been adopted as their national bird. However, thanks to the illegal bird trade they are incredibly close to becoming extinct in the wild. We are working to help safeguard these stunning birds as part of the European Breeding Programme.

You can see our Bali starlings in the Brilliant Birds walkthrough aviary."

12. agnmeln

Regarding the Bali Starling, their website states:

“Location in the Zoo: Our breeding pair are currently in an off show facility. While their two female offspring can be found in our Brilliant Birds enclosure.“

Although their website has often been out of date, so this may not be completely accurate. Their page about the sun bears until very recently said that Somnang and Rotana were six years old, despite them being thirteen years old at the time!

I am going to Edinburgh on 10th February, just booked my tickets last night. Will be very interesting to see how much has changed since I was last there. I used to go to every fortnight but I haven’t been now for 18 months! I have missed the place so much.

Kifaru Bwana and Quincey like this.
  13. Quincey

Visited today:

- Bali Starlings are on show in Brilliant Birds
    - There are at least 2 Capuchins in the off show enclosures beside the Asiatic Lions
    - The Drills have been moved to the opposite side of the Monkey House where the L'Hoest monkeys were before they were moved
    - Bertus the Indian Rhino is still in the zoo
    - Young Malayan Tapir Maya now has her adult coat
    - The Gelada's have at least four young offspring

kiang likes this.
  14. agnmeln

Interesting about Bertus still being there. It would be lovely if he just happens to still be there when I visit in four weeks, but I won’t get my hopes up.

15. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

Presumably the original plans to move on one of the Sun Bears for breeding have been changed?

16. agnmeln

I haven’t heard anything further as yet, the last I knew was that vets from IZW were in the process of making a decision.

17. Dylan

One of the Brillant Birds Bali starlings was PTS after she tore a wing tendon

18. Dylan

Also the tank in wee beasties has had fish, coral and crustaceans (Yellow tang, percula clownfish, lamarck's angelfish, springer's damselfish, purple queen anthias, fire shrimp, Turbo snail and Halloween hermit crabs).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. agnmeln

Does anyone know if Bertus has left yet?

20. Dylan

I'm assuming that they will announce when leaves for good