Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Match #30: Nuremberg vs Paignton

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 30 Mar 2018.

?

Primates

Poll closed 3 Apr 2018.
  1. Nuremberg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Paignton

100.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The category: primates. This might be one where a much better zoo is caught off-suit.

ZooChat Cup

In summary, the rules of the game are as follows:
    - You may choose whatever criteria you like to decide how to vote, as long as it only relates to the category above.
    - You can use whatever resources you like to inform your vote, including Zoolex, Zootierliste, the ZooChat gallery, trip reviews, zoo maps, books and wherever else. You don't have to have visited both zoos to vote.
    - Votes are public and can be changed at any time before the poll closes.
    - The aim of the game is to provoke debate. Post explaining why you voted the way you did, and why others should join you.
    - Voting closes in four days
    - The one thing you can't do is vote based on anything other than the relevant category.

Tomorrow, we complete the first round and fill out the draw with two matches, not one, featuring Berlin Tierpark, Leipzig, Rhenen and Rotterdam. Who's playing who? You'll find out then.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  2. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

Oh boy.... primates is most likely the last reason you want to visit Nuremberg for. I don't see Nuremberg getting any votes here. Not even arguing their gorillas makes sense given the sub par enclosure in- and outsides. Dang. Paignton is has to be.

3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's a shame. Nuremberg is one of the best zoos I saw in Europe, but it'd need a run made up entirely of matches based on large carnivores, small mammals or ungulates to win a Cup. It could jag a win on primates against a weak opponent, I guess - but from what I know of Paignton it's not a weak opponent.

4. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yikes! I love Nuremberg, but...

As far as apes go, their gorilla accommodation is dire, even allowing for the fact it houses an old and dysfunctional group. The mix with barbary macaques is interesting, but I haven't actually seen them together. Paignton's ape complex, on the other hand, is brilliant for a zoo of its stature, deserves praise for its long-term commitment to a bachelor group, and has orangutans to boot. Paignton's gibbon islands are also more satisfying than Nuremberg's small cages and they hold more species, although the housing could certainly be improved.

Monkeys are Nuremberg's strongest area in this category. The squirrel monkey exhibit is brilliant and I'm a sucker for watching primates in actual trees. However, Paignton wins out on volume and consistency: Monkey Heights and the mandrills, howlers, spider monkeys, etc. are fine; the island for Allen's swamp monkeys is charming; and the various callitrichid enclosures only add to the asymmetry. Nuremberg's highlight is probably the free-roaming sakis and marmosets in the manatee house, but lots of other places do this, too, and they're very much an afterthought. Both zoos have the classic mock-rock baboon enclosures, but I think Paignton's is more impressive.

Lastly, lemurs. Paignton's exhibit is large, built around a mature forest, and has a swinging bridge for the kids. Whilst it's difficult to get excited about a lemur walk-through, this is undoubtedly better than Nuremberg's tiny netted enclosures for brown lemurs. Also, Paignton has lorises.

Overall, Paignton wins on both exhibits and collection. Now, if we were talking ungulates or small mammals...

Last edited: 30 Mar 2018
  5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Both: white-faced saki; western lowland gorilla

Nuremberg
    Common brown lemur
    Western pygmy marmoset; Bolivian squirrel monkey
    Barbary macaque; western baboon

Paignton
    Red ruffed, red-fronted and ring-tailed lemurs
    Pygmy slow loris
    Pygmy marmoset; Goeldi’s monkey; golden lion, bearded emperor and pied tamarins; common squirrel monkey; Colombian brown spider monkey
    Sulawesi crested macaque; collared mangabey; sacred baboon; Diana monkey; Allen’s swamp monkey*; king colobus
    Malayan white-handed*, Abbott’s* and pileated gibbons
    Bornean orang-utan

An easy win for Paignton, which has a larger, more varied and more interesting collection of primates.

6. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ectotherms or birds might have been pretty close though.