Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Match #52: Planckendael vs Zurich (4)

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 25 Apr 2018.

?

Miscellaneous mammals

Poll closed 28 Apr 2018.
  1. Planckendael

51.5%
  2. Zurich

48.5%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Planckendael smashed Hamburg 23-1 on primates, but Zurich got here even more comfortably, 28-1, over Whipsnade on birds. Zurich's standing in this competition has always looked shakier than a fourth seeding might suggest, though... and now it might have a problem. Miscellaneous mammals.

Tomorrow: Berlin vs Antwerp.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2018
  2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In terms of species numbers both zoos are very similar, a bit more species in Planckendael though, but higher diversity in Zurich. Planckendael clearly wins on Australian mammals, where Zurich only has Koala and Bennet's wallaby for now. Zurich however has Hyrax in an amazing setting and both Giant anteater and Tamandua and the biggest small mammal rarity of the two for Europe: Plains viscacha.

Additionally I would say that the enclosures in Zurich are generally better than in Planckendael, so currently leaning towards Zurich, but it is open for discussion ;)

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  3. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Assuming this is all mammals that aren’t ungulates, primates or carnivores, so the term generally given as ‘small mammals’ despite some not being very small at all...

Both have capybara

Planckendael has Belanger’s treeshrew, black-rumped agouti, Cape porcupine, common wombat, dusky pademelon, Elbe European beaver, giant anteater, greater guinea pig, northern Luzon giant cloud rat, mara, Prevost’s squirrel, Queensland koala, red kangaroo, black rat, Southeast Australian short-beaked echidna, swamp wallaby and Tasmanian devil

Zurich has Barbary striped grass mouse, common rock hyrax, European harvest mouse, giant anteater, Linnaeus’ two-toed sloth, New South Wales koala, plains viscacha, Rodrigues flying fox, southern tamandua, St Vincent agouti, Swinhoe’s striped squirrel and Tasmanian red-necked wallaby

Zurich has less species but have more diversity order-wise.....I’m going with Planckendael for now based off of their cracking Australia section.

4. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zurich has no monotremes and 'only' koala and wallaby for marsupials. Planckendael however has no xenarthra (Zurich has two-toed sloth, tamandua, and giant anteater)[edit: Planckendael does have giant anteater, sorry], no hyrax, and no chiroptera. So overall, Zurich's collection of 'other' mammals is surprisingly diverse. In Zurich the hyrax (ethiopian mountain), giant anteater and capybara (Pantanal), koala (Australia, esp. the indoors enclosure), and rodriguez fruit bats (Masoala) are all housed in enclosures (arguably) second to none, with the rest of the species also housed in generally good to very good enclosures.

For me, diversity wins over number of species, and exhibit/enclosure quality over diversity. so unless Planckendael have enclosures that exceed or at least match Zurich's, it is Zurich for me.

I have not visited Planckendael, so hoping for reflections on their enclosures.

5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Planckendael does have Giant anteater, so are not completely without Xenarthra.

6. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

I cannot decide. This is a first in all of those match-ups :eek:

CGSwans likes this.
  7. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

While several of the most impressive small mammal exhibits at Zurich have been mentioned already, one that I have seen in the gallery that I really like the concept and execution of is the Swinhoe's striped squirrels, mixed in with Derbyan parakeets. It looks like a simple, active and interesting display that would look great in any zoo looking for an engaging exhibit in a small space (it's something I could imagine London slotting in, for example, if they were so inclined).

For exhibitry, I am going to be voting for Zurich although I am willing to be convinced otherwise.

8. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's collection versus exhibitry in this match. PL has a better collection with Tasmanian devils, swamp wallabys, dusky pademelon, echidna, prevost squirrel and belanger's tree shrew. But all their enclosures for these species are very mediocre (nothing bad).

9. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Both: Giant anteater; capybara;

Planckendael
    Southeast Australian short-beaked echidna
    Tasmanian devil
    Queensland koala; common wombat; red kangaroo; swamp wallaby; dusky pademelon
    Belangers tree shrew
    Elbe European beaver; black rat; northern Luzon giant cloud rat; Cape porcupine; greater guinea pig; Patagonian cavy; Black-rumped agouti; Prevosts squirrel

Zurich
    New South Wales koala; Tasmanian red-necked wallaby
    ? Common rock hyrax (should this be in Ungulates and friends?)
    Linnaeus two-toed sloth; southern tamandua
    European harvest mouse: Barbary striped grass mouse; plains viscacha; St Vincent agouti; Swinhoes striped squirrel
    Rodriguez flying fox

Zurich has a hyrax and a bat, but Planckendael has a tree shrew, dasyuromorph and, most importantly, a monotreme, so wins this one.

TheGerenuk and pipaluk like this.
  10. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree, Planckendael is significantly more impressive species wise. If I was travelling to either of these for their 'other mammals ', it wouldn't be a question where to go! Most of Zurich's list I can see in plenty of other places . This shouldn't even be a contest!

11. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Worth noting that Zürich's koalas are the only New South Wales koala in Europe. Definitely not a decisive factor for me but some people seem to vote based on the collection (which is obviously completely fine) and they might not know that.

12. pipaluk

I really don't see that should make a difference, on collection Planckendael is way ahead anyway ! I've seen little to explain why it isn't walking this?!

13. Mehdi

@pipaluk: I wasn't referring to your post at all, was just saying that the koalas were of a different subspecies for anyone not knowing that. I personally think Plackendael has a better collection anyway but I still voted for Zürich just for the exhibitry (and the Plains viscacha).

14. pipaluk

That's fine if you consider the viscacha trump all the Australian rarities, it's all down to personal choice, but for me that one species is all Zurich have to make this a contest, the rest of Zurich's list are commonly seen. I wouldn't travel all the way to Zurich to see those species , but Planckendael.. ...Definitely

15. Mehdi

@pipaluk: I don't understand your point though, I already said I voted mainly because of the exhibitry so even though Planckendael has a nice collection not only because of the viscacha. I'd rather visit Zürich when it comes to Miscellaneous mammals. I think we're kind of hijacking the thread, we're not getting off-topic but I just don't see the reason behind this debate. :p

16. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

@pipaluk Zurich has arguably the best exhibitry in Europe. That's why people are voting for it. When have you ever left a zoo thinking 'Man, what an awesome capybara exhibit?'

jayjds2 likes this.
  17. pipaluk

My argument is that Planckendael’s much more impressive collection beats Zurich's. To me the exhibits have to be considerably better at Zurich for this to be a contest! I don't think anyone has really made an argument for that, other than saying Zurich ( being Zurich) is better for exhibits!

18. pipaluk

No, so I'll go to Planckendael to see all those rarities and leave the Zurich lovers to their Red-necked wallaby and capybara!

19. Mehdi

Capybara enclosure | ZooChat

Viscacha and Owl exhibit in the Exotarium at Zurich 31/08/09 | ZooChat

https://www.zoochat.com/community/m...-next-to-lions-house.393608/full?d=1523354390

https://www.zoochat.com/community/media/african-mountain-exhibit-at-zurich-31-08-09.60348/full?d=0

To me, this is not just good exhibitry, it's great exhibitry. As such, when you add in the fact Planckendael has only "decent" exhibits according to @Philipine eagle (although I haven't seen them by myself so I could be wrong) is why I have voted for Zürich.

(once again, it's not because Planckendael has decent exhibits, that's only a second factor; it's mainly because Zürich has some cracking exhibits for its small mammals and a decent collection)

jayjds2 likes this.
  20. pipaluk

I would argue Zurich's collection isn't that decent , average maybe!