Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup 3rd Place play-off: Burgers vs Chester

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 14 May 2018.

?

Ungulates and miscellaneous mammals

Poll closed 17 May 2018.
  1. Burgers

46.7%
  2. Chester

53.3%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Coming from an Australian rules background, I don't really understand this consolation round for 3rd place thing: in my sport once you're out you're out, and that's that. But why not.

Tonight's play-off features one category from each of the zoo's losing semi-finals. Chester was knocked out by Prague 26-11 on primates and miscellaneous mammals, while Burgers fell to Berlin, 21-15, on ectotherms and ungulates.

Tomorrow: the big one.

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Miscellaneous mammals is not where Burgers' strength lies and I feel it stands no chance against Chester. For Ungulates and allies they have a much better chance. Though again with less species they have some of the better enclosures and a big bonus in the form of Manatees in a huge tank.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

However, miscellaneous mammals is also the area which cost Chester the match against Prague.....

This is going to be a tough one.

4. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I feel for both zoos to get this far is a great achievement seeing as they’re not the top 4 seeds, and should have lost in the last 8 if seeds mean anything which in this competition they’ve certainly not. I feel this will be a great match, can’t wait to here the arguments for both sides.

5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ungulates

Both: South-East Asian elephant; Rothschild's giraffe; Myanmar thamin; Eastern bongo; Javan banteng; roan antelope

Arnhem
    Asian elephant
    West Indian manatee
    Grant`s zebra
    Southern white rhinoceros
    Northern warthog
    Collared peccary
    Reeves' muntjac; common hog deer; Eurasian forest reindeer
    California bighorn; common waterbuck; beisa oryx; eastern white-bearded wildebeest; western blue duiker

Chester
    Onager; Grevy's zebra
    Malayan and Brazilian tapirs
    Eastern black and greater one-horned rhinoceroses
    Red river hog; Negros warty pig; common warthog; Sulawesi babirusa
    Balabac chevrotain
    Okapi
    Indian muntjac; Visayan spotted deer; southern pudu
    Kirk's dik-dik; lowland anoa; red buffalo; western sitatunga; red duiker

Arnhem has a manatee and a peccary; Chester has tapirs and a chevotrain. This is a draw on family diversity.

Chester has more horses, rhinoceroses, pigs and giraffes and wins on species.

Other mammals

Both: Aardvark; Rodriguez flying fox; Seba's short-tailed bat

Arnhem
    Swamp wallaby
    Merriam's kangaroo rat; Cactus deer mouse; hispid cotton rat; capybara; common Rock squirrel
    Lyle's flying fox

Chester
    Dusky pademelon; Goodfellow’s tree kangaroo
    Lesser hedgehog and lowland streaked tenrecs
    Round-eared sengi
    Cape hyrax
    Linnaeus' two-toed sloth; giant anteater
    Belanger's tree-shrew
    Giant jumping rat; Asia Minor spiny mouse; Northern Luzon giant cloud rat; Cape porcupine; naked mole-rat; capybara; Azara's agouti; Sumatran Prevost's squirrel

Chester has tenrecs; a sengi, a hyrax, a sloth and anteater and a tree shrew and wins on order diversity.

Chester wins overall.

6. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is tough, the best zoos from both of my home countries against each other.

Though Chester may have more variety than Burgers’, Burgers’ slays Chester in exhibitry (that manatee tank, plus Safari and the mixed exhibit in Rimba). Given that Burgers’ also has more rarities than Chester in both categories (rock squirrel, kangaroo rat, manatee, Beisa oryx etc.), I’m going with Burgers’.

7. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have visited neither zoo, but am going with Burgers'. Having read travel reports and looked at gallery pictures and contemplating, where would I rather go see 'ungulates and misc. mammals' Burgers' elicits a level of curiosity in me that Chester simply does not: with Burgers' i genuinely wonder how its enclosures might be like, whether this is the savanna or the manatee house (which both seem to get a lot of praise), or the sheep in the desert (which get mixed reviews). Even with misc. mammals where I don't think I've read anything on Burgers' enclosures, I am curious as to how they might exhibit them to a level I simply am not with Chester.
    I might be assessing this unfairly and - good arguments provided - may yet revise my vote.

8. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

FYI, since this is close. I will not be conducting a re-match if this game is tied. Both zoos will be considered to have finished in equal third place.

9. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Other mammals is probably Burgers' weakest point. For a zoo that is arguably among the best zoos in Europe, the lack of xenarthrans, hyraxes, sengis, tree shrews, insectivores and tenrecs, as well as low numbers of marsupials, means a huge gap in the collection. Although they are often not the easiest species to add to an ecodisplay, I think the rodents in the Desert show it is not impossible.

What Burgers' does it does good, and ever since the legendary first match, Burgers' has always won on exhibitry until it met its match in the form of the truly excellent Berlin Aquarium and ungulates buildings. If Burgers' wins, it will win on exhibitry and not collection.

@Dassie rat, Burgers' does keep capibara!