Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Reports 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2019.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

This is the Chester Zoo thread for minor news, which is loosely defined as news which you yourself have observed at the zoo, or were told by someone, as opposed to 'official' announcements or stories from social or traditional media. If you want to post 'official' news it should go here:
    Chester Zoo - Chester Zoo Headline News 2019

2. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

For those planning a visit, Islands is looking quite sorry for itself at the moment... Aside from the issues around Monsoon Forest, the canal and many waterways have now been drained, the cassowaries are separated by a temporary fence and the banteng are confined to their off-show paddock.

It's a strange feeling walking around, especially on a weekday when the zoo is much quieter.

3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Noticed Napo following Goshi around today, baby sun bear and mum out in the enclosure nearer the orangs (I believe they are usually in the tiger end), no giant otter pups @Waddi and that's about it from me.

Was the sign for a new born Okapi not taken down from last year, as there is one as you walk in (sure I saw it there before)?

Jambo likes this.
  4. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice to hear that the two jaguars are still together, I hope both can stay at Chester following recent revelations. Presumably if the zoo was to obtain another male with a view to breeding Goshi, it would be possible to keep Napo as well, particularly if both sides of the exhibit were utilised for the jaguars and Bernie the bear moved back to his normal enclosure?

5. Azubaa

Azubaa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I noticed this and it must be for Semuliki’s birth, as I thought K’tusha
    is the only female the zoo have.
    After Stuma’s death, did the zoo ever acquire another adult breeding female?

6. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

How many Okapi's do Chester have ? I saw two (a mother and young) around November time, but the foal was probably 5/6 months old then.

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A baby Okapi is a calf not a foal. They should have 3.1 at the moment unless they're have been any recent changes

Jambo and ShonenJake13 like this.
  8. Azubaa

Azubaa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are:
    Dicky, Stomp (mature males)
    Semuliki (Young male although he has been weaned by now as okapi are at 6+ months)
    And K’tusha (mature female)
    So do Chester have plans to occupy a new female replacement for Stuma?

9. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

All of the hornbill aviaries & the top floor of the tropical realm have been fenced off due to maintenance work though unclear as to what is happening.

Last edited by a moderator: 3 Apr 2019
  10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Not sure if any of this has been reported anywhere before on one of the threads, could be old news but if so I've forgotten!

The chattering lories at the Bali Temple aviary have been replaced by Purple-naped Lories.

The Radiated Tortoise 'house-within-a-house' in the Tropical House/Realm is now complete and occupied.

Baby giraffe was on show today; appears to be the first day it has been.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2019
  11. Andy B

Andy B Well-Known Member

Had a couple of hours at the zoo today the only notable observations were both within the first 5 minutes. A few days old Spider Monkey was on show & also the Elephant house was closed with a vet sign in place.

12. Braez

Braez New Member 5+ year member

Some happier news from a trip to Chester Zoo yesterday. There was a baby porcupine born yesterday morning!

Jambo, Benobo88 and Charlie Simmomds like this.
  13. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited today and all the attractions (aside from monsoon forest) are open except the Giraffe/Okapi house as there has been a giraffe born! Unfortunately, I couldn't get any details as to parentage or gender but I did spot some channel 4 crew entering the house. Also, the top floor of tropical realm was open and a pair of Blue-necked tanagers (Tangara cyanicollis) were in the aviary with the trogons. Lastly, saw both the porcupines & wattled cranes but neither seemed to have any young following previous porcupine birth & crane egg sighting...

14. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Andean bear Madidi, born to Lima and Bernie has been moved to Noahs Ark Zoo Farm.

15. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Will this mean Bernie will move back to his former enclosure?

16. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Possibly, they may move him back if they want to breed again, also I suppose it depends on the bears themselves and whether they think moving them will be detrimental or not, I'm not sure how many times they have moved them around. The sun bears seem to be in the same enclosure (not sure now with the cub) but Bernie and Lima I'm not sure about.

17. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I can tell you despite the posting that Bernie had moved last year on here,he hasn't left the Jaguar House since he was moved when the cub was born.As of yesterday he was still in the Jaguar House being crate trained but it could be a couple of weeks before he moves,due to a member of staff being on holiday.But I am sure somebody on here knows more than me as after all I know nothing!!

pipaluk, Brum, ShonenJake13 and 3 others like this.
  18. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

Bernie and Lima are together now.

19. taun

taun Well-Known Member

They have also put a better fence in place to split the enclosure, which would stop any potential future cubs crossing the temporary hot fence.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

How has this affected the aesthetics of the enclosure?