Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo Discussion, Speculation & Questions 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FunkyGibbon, 1 Jan 2019.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

This thread is for any Chester chat that isn't really news. As the title suggests this is a good place for discussion, speculation and questions.

2. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was watching an old episode of Secret Life of the Zoo a few days ago which featured Madidi, the Spectacled/Andean Bear cub. Am I right in thinking she's never been mixed with both her parents? I know the male is in the jaguar house at present and has been for some time - does anyone know why they were not mixed? I asked a 'zoo ranger' on a visit a few months ago but she didn't seem to know a great deal, and my attempts to track down one of the carnivore keepers failed, so any insight would be welcome.

As an aside, I wonder when Madidi might move on as she is 2 this month I think?

3. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

She was meant to be mixed with both at 11 months originally wasn't she?

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

She has never been intentionally mixed with her father,and has never been planned to be mixed because despite breeding mum and dad don't get on to well,and despite someone comment on that he had been moved back he has not left the Jaguar House since he moved over there,but the zoo and studbook want more cubs from the pair so expect changes soonish!!

jde7582, pipaluk and Jambo like this.
  5. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I heard that they had planned to use the savannah side of SOTJ to house mother and cubs if any where produced so what would happen then

6. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

They would have to make other arrangements - tbh I'd like to think they will have / would consider this before attempting to breed the jags.

7. Sand Cat

Thanks for this info - potentially exciting news and here's hoping for more bear cubs at Chester then!

8. Sand Cat

Heads up that the Secret Life of the Zoo returns tomorrow night at 8pm - its now moving to Tuesdays. Oddly although the last new episode was on just before Christmas, this is being promoted as the first episode of Series 7 - amazing how many there have been already!

Jambo and pipaluk like this.
  9. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Length of each series is random and there have been two per year.

10. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

SLOTZ and the Silent Witness, that's my evening sorted :)

11. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I enjoy watching secrets at the chester zoo with the keepers on animal planet weekly thru our cable tv.

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

and now back to Thursday

14. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Here is the text of an email I've received in response to my donation following the Monsoon Forest fire:

Thank you so much for your very kind donation to our Monsoon Forest Conservation Fund on JustGiving, established in the wake of the fire in the building on 15 December.

We’ve said it many times but it never stops being true – we are humbled and overwhelmed at the extent of the support shown to us.

Your donation helped us at a very difficult time. Not only has it ensured that we can carry on with our charitable mission of preventing extinction, it also provided comfort to our staff and volunteers when they were in greatest need of it. The biggest message we have taken away from this whole experience has been the knowledge that we are supported by so many caring people and organisations, who without being asked, stepped up to support us. This is extraordinary, and we do not take this for granted.

In turn, we want you to know that you can rely on us; you are placing trust in us as a charity to put your donations to the best possible use to achieve maximum conservation impact. To reflect the wishes of our wonderful donors, our conservationists will be giving careful consideration to how the money received will be used, and further details of this will be shared as soon as possible. In the meantime what we can say is that we will use this fund to further vital conservation work with South East Asian species like the ones that were affected by the fire in the Monsoon Forest.

Some donors have expressed a wish for their donations to be used to rebuild Monsoon Forest. We would like to reassure you that as a world-class attraction we are fully insured. However we intend to honour those specific requests, but it may take some time for us to understand what might be needed over the coming months as we get underway with the process of recovery and rebuild. Some of the funds may indeed be considered for an enhancement to the Tripa Research Station habitat at the centre of Monsoon Forest, which would serve as permanent recognition of the kindness of our donors.

Our work has never stopped, despite the fire. Conservation is at the heart of what we do, both here at the zoo and out in the field. Despite this terrible event, our focus has always been and must remain on our charitable mission. As we move forward, with your support, we continue to ensure that there will be no interruption in the vital conservation work we carry out every day.

Thank you so much for your kindness and generosity, and for joining us in preventing extinction.

Best wishes,

All of us at Chester Zoo

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Feb 2019
  15. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just a quick one do any of you know where the birds from Monsoon Forest have been placed around the collection only asking because a statement from the zoo earlier this year said that all avian species have now been relocated amongst the zoo collection.
    Visiting tomorrow 9/2/2019 so will try and update with images and text on some of the features around the collection

16. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Will any other species be featured with the Asian lions in the new exhibit?

17. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On the plans, there is a compartment on the side of the indoor exhibit labelled 'mongooses'. There is no public viewing of this area, so I suppose that if it does eventually hold mongooses they will only be seen in the lion's display den (and I hope they will not be mixed the lions). If Chester follows ZSL's precedent they will be dwarf mongooses, of course.

kiang likes this.
  18. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I saw a video on YouTube a while back claiming that Javan leopards would be a future part of Islands and in the comments they said they heard it at a talk... Anyone know how credible this is?

Here is the video:

19. zoogiraffe

All off show so currently cannot be seen with no plans for them to go on show until monsoon rebuilt.

jde7582 likes this.
  20. zoogiraffe

I would suggest that you watch secret life of the zoo again,atleast 3 species this site hasn't full realised the zoo has used as a clip to trail from one story to another.

As for how credible the video is given that there zoning information is about 2 years out of date I would say not very,as there is no South American zone under current zones there is a Foothills and Flood Plains and a Forest Zone and of course a Grasslands exhibit which is a restaurant with a exhibit for Giraffes and a few other hoofstock !!!

jde7582 likes this.